Backing up a Windows Failover Cluster with Shared Storage?

VMware specific discussions

Re: Backing up a Windows Failover Cluster with Shared Storag

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:12 pm

Hi Boris,

The best practice would be not to use bus sharing, as snapshots are not supported for these kind of disks. Usually people use SQL Server AlwaysOn instead of clustering it via Failover Cluster feature. Please review this topic for more info.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1098 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:35 pm

I was testing Server 2016 Storage Replica to possibly replaced some old DFSR, but unfortunately that also has to use bus sharing so my plans have been scuppered :(
lando_uk
Expert

Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Mark

Veeam Logoby k1ngb0ra » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:58 pm

Hi Vitaliy,

thanks for your reply, but unfortunately AlwaysOn is not the same as a "real" FCI, in my opinion AlwaysOn is like a narrow gauge cluster without the need for shared storage.

An FCI covers everything about the SQL instance - databases, logins, certificates, policies, agent jobs, and more. Whether you have two databases or hundred databases, they will all go together. An AvailabilityGroup will only fail over the data in the databases that are in the group. You must separately manage everything else. The more replicas you add, the more complex management becomes.

maybe this is one reason I'm considering to move away from VMware to Hyper-V because there are snapshot capable shared VHDX available
k1ngb0ra
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Wallner Boris

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:03 pm

Ok, thanks for clarification, makes sense. If you're considering VHDX, then please take a look at this topic > Backing up a Windows Failover Cluster with Shared vhdx?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1098 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere