Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
morbrosit
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Morrison IT

Backing up Backup Copy to USB drive to take offiste.

Post by morbrosit »

I know it's possible to do a Backup Copy job and have it go to a USB device. But is it possible to unplug that USB drive at the end of each day and take offsite? Then bring back in the morning and plug back in (making sure it keeps the same drive letter).

I know you can do rotating jobs, but those don't support Backup Copy job's. I just need something temporary for offsite backups until we can figure out the plan do utilize Veeam Cloud.

Thanks.
driley
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dennis Riley

Re: Backing up Backup Copy to USB drive to take offiste.

Post by driley »

Hi Morrison,
I think Backup Copy jobs are supported on rotated drives (assume 9.5 U4), see snippet from https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

For backup copy jobs:

Veeam Backup & Replication creates a regular backup chain on the currently attached drive.
When you swap drives, and the attached drive is empty, Veeam Backup & Replication creates a full backup on it. If there is a backup chain on the drive, Veeam Backup & Replication creates a new incremental backup and adds it to the backup chain. The latest incremental backup existing in the backup chain is used as a starting point for the new incremental backup.
[For external drives attached to Microsoft Windows servers] Veeam Backup & Replication checks the retention policy set for the job. If some backup files in the backup chain are outdated, Veeam Backup & Replication removes them from the backup chain.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backing up Backup Copy to USB drive to take offiste.

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

After the first successful run, the job will be linked by the volume GUID, so it doesn't matter if the drive letter will change afterward. Thanks!