Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
razor2refs
Influencer
Liked: never

Backing up before RAID level migration to level 6

Post by razor2refs »

I have a bare metal Dell Server with Windows Server 2016 and Veeam Backup and Replication (latest). It backups all the VMs from Vsphere. Unfortunately, it was setup with RAID-0. I want to change that to RAID-6. I am not sure what to backup in case something goes wrong.
The C drive has the Veeam installed. On the RAID-0 virtual disk (D drive), I have three folders - Backup (Backup of VMs), ProgramData and VBRCatalog. Do I need to copy any other folders to another disk before changing RAID-0 to RAID-6?
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Re: Backing up before RAID level migration to level 6

Post by karsten123 »

is your raid controller capable of migrating 0 to 6 online without starting from scratch?
please review the relevant documention carefully.
im afraid, you have to backup all of your data. maybe it makes sense to migrate the vbrcatalog to another volume. what folders are under programdata?
razor2refs
Influencer

Post by razor2refs »

Yes, Dell PERC 710 mini (embedded) can do RAID level migration. I have to two 4TB drives in RAID-0. Will purchase two more. If if RAID migration fails, I wanted to know the proper procedure to backup the Veeam data and restore it to new RAID-6 volume.

Under ProgramData are empty folders. D:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\IRCache\NfsDatastore
razor2refs
Influencer

Post by razor2refs »

bump