Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Backerupper
Enthusiast
Liked: 24 times

Re: Backing up Sharepoint 2010 in Veeam v7

Post by Backerupper » 1 person likes this post

Sysadmin role is not going to work for us either...I hope they come up with a better 'fix'.

I've got the OCD as well...I hate glazing over every warning message to see if in fact it is important..
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, this is already on the list of fixes.

Just wanted to stress this once more: getting this warning does not affect backup procedure in any way, however you will need to manually mount SharePoint database on restore, instead of it automatically being imported in Veeam Explorer for SharePoint.
ejleipold
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Evan Leipold

Post by ejleipold » 1 person likes this post

Haha yeah but we're IT people, we all have a certain degree of OCD when it comes to warnings ;)
itfnb
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Post by itfnb »

foggy wrote:Yes, this is already on the list of fixes.

Just wanted to stress this once more: getting this warning does not affect backup procedure in any way, however you will need to manually mount SharePoint database on restore, instead of it automatically being imported in Veeam Explorer for SharePoint.
Good deal. We went through all the pains of establishing our SharePoint 2013 infrastructure on least privileges and we can wait…like others, we're not interested in tacking on a sysadmin account either. :wink: Though my OCD may just whoop me! :D
mdiver
Veeam Legend
Liked: 33 times

Post by mdiver » 1 person likes this post

Same here. Perfectly solved by Veeam support by guiding me to this the thread (Case # 00434935).
Adding the sysadmin role to the VSS user specified in B&R and all green again... :D
josthimerMD
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jeff Osthimer

Post by josthimerMD » 2 people like this post

As for model of least privilege:

I've found that I can give the Veeam Service Account "public" server level access and "public" and "WSS_Content_Application Pools" for the Database Roles of the SharePoint configuration database and can run a successful backup.
nitsuj
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by nitsuj »

I have the same problem. I'm very new to veeam and sharepoint. Can anyone give me some more detailed information on how to fix this?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As mentioned, the warning you got doesn’t have any impact on backup/replication performance, apart from requirement to manually mount SharePoint database on restore. In order to solve the issue if you grant the user that is specified for VSS sysadmin role of the sharepoint SQL server.

If you’re after specifying the least possible privileges, kindly, use the model determined empirically by Jeff Osthimer.

Thanks.
edtayl
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Edward Taylor

Post by edtayl » 2 people like this post

I can confirm this fix from Jeff Osthimer works in our Sharepoint 2013 environment too. To clarify, you need to give Veeam account the Public access on all db's and also tick the "WSS_Content_Application Pools" role on all the db's where it appears as an available role. I now get the green tick on the job.