Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
btmaus
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Backing up virtual machines in DMZ

Post by btmaus »

I have my Veeam B&R Sever and Veeam Proxy servers in my Production VLAN, where vCenter is also located.

I have a couple of virtual machines in different DMZ networks that are behing firewalls. What options do I have to backup these virtual machines if I want to enable Application-aware processing? Do I need to open firewall ports?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backing up virtual machines in DMZ

Post by Gostev »

Direct network connection to the guest is not a requirement with Veeam, as backup server can talk to it via ESXi host as well. Thanks!
btmaus
Expert

Post by btmaus »

Ok but I notice if I enable Application-aware processing for the virtual machines in the DMZ network, then I get an error about VIX
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

What specific issue you got? What kind of account is specified for application processing of this VM?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

be careful on VIX you either have to disable UAC or use the native administrator account, otherwise indeed you are going to face errors.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
btmaus
Expert

Post by btmaus »

If I add a VM to my backup job, that has application-aware processing enabled, and I click on test credentials, it says:

Connecting to guest OS via RPC, user Administrator - (this is the correct credentials btw, I have double checked)
Cannot connect to the host's administrative share

So do I need to open firewall ports?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Only if you want to use network as a connection, but as said before you can leverage VIX processing that uses the ESXi libraries to access the vm over the hypervisor stack, so you can keep your DMZ closed as before.
The test should actually test both type of connections, haven't you seen the result also of the VIX test?
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
btmaus
Expert

Post by btmaus »

dellock6 wrote:Only if you want to use network as a connection, but as said before you can leverage VIX processing that uses the ESXi libraries to access the vm over the hypervisor stack, so you can keep your DMZ closed as before.
The test should actually test both type of connections, haven't you seen the result also of the VIX test?
The Transport Mode is set to Automatic, with the failver to network option selected. So is it just doing a network test by default and then stopping? I don't see other tests after that. I have application-aware processing checked along with vSphere Guest quiescence.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

There should be a record for the VIX test, right after the RPC lines (or before them, if the registry setting for protocol order inversion is specified). If you do not see them, please contact technical support.
btmaus
Expert

Post by btmaus »

I created a new job, with application-aware processing checked along with vSphere Guest quiescence:

Connection to guest OS via RPC failed
Cannot connect to host's Administrative share
Then I get a pass for VIX tests.

So what does this mean, it will use VMware's own vSphere Guest quiescence to take the backup?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

So what does this mean, it will use VMware's own vSphere Guest quiescence to take the backup?
You can still use AAIP without having direct network connection to the backed up VMs. Just make sure you have VMware Tools up and running in these VMs. Please refer to this thread for requirements.

Thank you.
btmaus
Expert

Post by btmaus »

Ok, thanks for the info.

If I decide to open the ports, which ports do I need to open specifically? I've had a look here but it's very confusing: http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... ports.html

Which section do I need to look at?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

If I decide to open the ports, which ports do I need to open specifically?
If you mean Guest OS ports then please refer to "VM Guest OS Connections" section of that guide.
btmaus
Expert

Post by btmaus »

OK thank you, that's alot of ports!
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

That's alot of ports!
That's why in case of DMZ it's better to stick with VIX. There is an article from our Evangelist, please take a look as it might be helpful.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

btmaus wrote:Which section do I need to look at?
VM Guest OS Connections section.
Jack1874
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Stuart Little

[MERGED] Guest Processing - through a firewall

Post by Jack1874 »

Guys, our environment has some domain controllers in the DMZ.

We want to enable Guest Processing to back them up using a Service Account in the DMZ.

Currently it fails as there is no authentication through the firewall to allow the service account to reach the DMZ from the backup server.

Is anyone doing this successfully? What ports did you need to open on the firewall.

Thoughts??
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

What message do you see on the job failure? Actually, direct network connection is not required for guest processing, see details above.
btmaus
Expert

Post by btmaus »

@Jack1874 ... I use the VIX method now for the VMs in my DMZ, as suggested earlier in this thread.

@foggy ... One DMZ VM in particular keeps on producing this warning (with VIX enabled):

Code: Select all

Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Details: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors:
'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host:  [xyz.xyz.xyz.xyz]. Account: [Administrator].
Win32 error:The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.
 Code: 1789
Idea's?
'
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Glenn, check whether UAC is disabled on the VM and whether you're using Domain Administrator account, since one of those is required to perform application-aware image processing work over VIX.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Also, you can choose a VM sitting in DMZ as guest interaction proxy and let it push run-time process to the required VMs there. Thanks.
btmaus
Expert

Post by btmaus »

@foggy ... it's using the Local Administrator account to backup the VM.

So if I place a Guest Interaction Proxy in the DMZ, then I can backup all my DMZ VMs using application-aware processing (which I can't at the moment)?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

foggy ... it's using the Local Administrator account to backup the VM
Please make sure that you can connect to the admin share (for example, \\Server Name\admin$) with the same credentials as provided to Veeam Backup & Replication for guest processing.
So if I place a Guest Interaction Proxy in the DMZ, then I can backup all my DMZ VMs using application-aware processing (which I can't at the moment)?
Yes, but you'll have to provide a two-way communication between guest proxy and VBR.

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

btmaus wrote:So if I place a Guest Interaction Proxy in the DMZ, then I can backup all my DMZ VMs using application-aware processing (which I can't at the moment)?
Correct, but be aware to open TCP 6190 between backup server and guest interaction proxy.Thanks.
btmaus
Expert

Post by btmaus »

PTide wrote:Please make sure that you can connect to the admin share (for example, \\Server Name\admin$) with the same credentials as provided to Veeam Backup & Replication for guest processing.
It can't, as it's in the DMZ and doesn't have all those ports open. I have the options ticked to use both application-aware and vSphere quiesce, from reading the documentation I thought it should failover to using vSphere (no need for connection to admin share)? Or am I wrong?
Yes, but you'll have to provide a two-way communication between guest proxy and VBR.
Thanks, might have to look into this.Would the Guest Interaction proxy still need a connection back to the vCentre though? Not sure I want to open all those ports from my DMZ.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

it should failover to using vSphere (no need for connection to admin share)? Or am I wrong?
You're absolutely right, it slipped out from my mind that your VM is in DMZ. I recommend contacting support. Normally the job should attempt using VIX after being unable to connect via network.
Would the Guest Interaction proxy still need a connection back to the vCentre though
It must have a LAN or VIX connection to the VM that will be backed up or replicated.

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Would the Guest Interaction proxy still need a connection back to the vCentre though?
Nope, it wouldn't. All required ports are mentioned in the referenced section of our User Guide. Thanks.
Psycorp
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kris Woodward

[MERGED] Backup Workgroup DMZ Servers

Post by Psycorp »

Hi All

We'd like to backup certain servers within our DMZ which are in a workgroup. Possibly silly question but is it possible to do this without using Administrator credentials for the guest OS but while also leaving remote UAC enabled?

Cheers
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Kris, either Domain Administrator account or disabled UAC is required, please see the thread above.