Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
GriffGB
Novice
Liked: never

Backing up VMs when migrating to a new host

Post by GriffGB »

Evening all,

I've got a question regarding backing up VMs when replacing an ESXi host.

I've got three ESXi hosts, 2 in our HQ, and one in a remote location. I'm using B&R 9.5, licensed for 6 CPUs (2 x 3 hosts).
I'm upgrading vSphere, and am in the process of replacing the host in the remote location with a new set of hardware. I've added the new host to vsphere on the trial license so I can migrate the VMs onto the new hardware, then switch the Vmware license over and decommission the old host.

The issue I think I'll come across, is once I move a VM from the old host to the new host, Veeam will not back it up due to not having any spare licenses. Naturally once the old hardware comes out then it will be removed from Veeam too, thus freeing up a licence.
I don't want to migrate all the VMs at once if I can avoid it, and would prefer to stagger the migration if possible.

Can anyone think of a way I can migrate these VMs, and still have Veeam back them up?
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Re: Backing up VMs when migrating to a new host

Post by bdufour »

you will have to migrate all vms to the new host and remove the license from the old host in your veeam console. thats how it works.
GriffGB
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Backing up VMs when migrating to a new host

Post by GriffGB »

That's what I was thinking would be the answer.

Shame they don't have a feature to increase license count temporarily for scenarios like this.