Backing up Windows 2012 dedupe server

Discussions specific to VMware vSphere hypervisor

Re: Backup and Replicate Windows 2016 VM with deduplication

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:51 am

Hi Jean-Philippe, as Mike's mentioned, in-guest dedupe does generate a lot of changes inside VM, affecting both backup and replication jobs. Please review the thread above for some other considerations.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1296 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backing up Windows 2012 dedupe server

Veeam Logoby Jean-Philippe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:57 am

Ok thank you Foggy.
Jean-Philippe
Influencer

Liked: 2 times

[MERGED] Handling Win2012R2 dedup VM's

Veeam Logoby briggs » Tue May 08, 2018 7:51 am

All,
How can I manage the backing up of a Windows 2012 R2 VM that has de-dup enabled?

To elaborate a little. Our main file/print server is a 2012 R2 VM with 2TB disk space. This space fills up so quickly nowadays, that I couldn't avoid enabling Dedup. As soon as I've done that, whenever the dedup cycle/schedule (once a week, Friday evening), the resulting incremental is massive. Nearly the size of the full.

I simply can't handle backups this large, with the retention period I have (70 restore points, backups every 12 hours Mon-Sat). Basically, now it's enabled, once a week I get a single 1-2TB incremental where it was once around 100GB.

An even bigger problem is that we use Veeam Cloud connect, and getting a backup file that size out the door and into the cloud is very tricky in the window we have, and the VCC service obviously charges by the GB so we are running up huge bills unless I sort it out ASAP.

- The onsite job is an incremental with monthly fulls
- The VCC job is a reverse incremental

I do realise that dedup effectively changes the disk blocks, and understand that's the way it is, but I'm after an sort of recommendation or advice on how people deal with this problem.

Thanks in advance, Alan
briggs
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Alan Thompson

Re: Backing up Windows 2012 dedupe server

Veeam Logoby PTide » Tue May 08, 2018 12:43 pm

Alan,

Unfortunately there is not much what can be done at the moment. You should consider increasing the size of the disk and disabling in-guest dedupe. Another option would be to use Veeam Agent for Windows installed inside the guest-OS so it will send backups to VCC.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 330 times

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere