Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1481 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup and Replication to DR Site Design Proposal

Post by foggy » Sep 26, 2013 1:11 pm

CaptainFred wrote:Regarding the backup report email that is sent after the job is complete, am I right in saying that the “read” amount is the amount of changed data in the VM and the “transferred” amount is the amount it’s actually transferred to backup AFTER compression and dedupe?
There is a good topic describing all the counters used in the job stats and report, worth reviewing.
CaptainFred wrote:I've just attempted a replication job of a VM from vSphere 5.0.0. I've selected my source and destination proxies but got the message "hotadd isn't supported for this type of disk". The destination proxy is installed on Windows Server 2012, could this be because technically hotadd isn't supported in vSphere 5.0.0 on Windows Server 2012?
Hotadd is supported on Windows 2012, however there are several limitations of using hotadd mode outlined in the following KB article: http://www.veeam.com/KB1054, please review whether some of these applies to your case.

CaptainFred
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Si

Post by CaptainFred » Sep 26, 2013 1:45 pm

Yes, I've read a few threads like that one and just wanted to double check what I'd read is correct. Reading that thread I believe I am?

I've also read that KB article before but I wondered whether it needs an update because
vSphere 5.0 and later releases have a block size of 1 MB only.
as it states here: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1003565 - I'm not so sure that it means that I can't use hotadd in vSphere 5.0 or later with disks 256GB or larger.

None of the other points apply. I can't find anyone mentioning my particular error which is worrying. Is it because I am replicating from vSphere 5.0.0 to vSphere 5.1.0? Works if I don't use the proxies. I'm also doing vCenter to host because I haven't finished installing the DR vCenter yet, from what I've read that should still work?

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » Sep 26, 2013 2:37 pm

CaptainFred wrote:Yes, I've read a few threads like that one and just wanted to double check what I'd read is correct. Reading that thread I believe I am?
You're correct about transferred. As for the read data, then it is the amount of data that has been actually read from source VM disk (blocks reported by CBT minus overlapping snapshot blocks, zero-data blocks, blocks of swap files, etc., so basically less than the amount of changes).
CaptainFred wrote:None of the other points apply. I can't find anyone mentioning my particular error which is worrying. Is it because I am replicating from vSphere 5.0.0 to vSphere 5.1.0? Works if I don't use the proxies. I'm also doing vCenter to host because I haven't finished installing the DR vCenter yet, from what I've read that should still work?
Replication to the higher version is supported, as well as replication to the standalone host, so I suggest contacting support with this.

CaptainFred
Enthusiast

Post by CaptainFred » Sep 27, 2013 2:42 pm

So if it says it read 60GB for example, it's actually read more because thats the figure after ignoring overlapping blocks, zero data blocks etc?

Well it seems the problem with hotadd was partly that my backup username has a dash in it, I've created a new username and it's working for most VMs but not all, so will raise a support case now about it.

Is this still valid: http://www.slideshare.net/VeeamSoftware ... and-tricks it mentions a lot of registry keys but not where to create them and there is a couple of Veeam keys in the registry?

Does the DownloadStreamsNumber (DWORD) improve TCP streams for backup or replication or both?

I ran a create synthetic full the other day, I had a full backup which was about 7TB, and 9 incremental backups of around 300-400GB each. It took 30 hours to create it! Would this be expected? I didn't have "transform previous full backup chains into rollbacks" enabled but would like to!

The backup server is physical and high spec, 12 x 2Ghz cores, 32GB RAM, backup storage is iSCSI 10GBE 24 x 3TB SATA drives in RAID 6. The new full backup file it resulted in is 10TB which surprised me a bit too. Will it automatically delete the 7TB full backup file depending on the rentetion/restore points?

Thanks

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » Sep 27, 2013 3:23 pm

CaptainFred wrote:So if it says it read 60GB for example, it's actually read more because thats the figure after ignoring overlapping blocks, zero data blocks etc?
No, it's the actual amount of data read (no need to read blocks that do not need to be copied).
CaptainFred wrote:Is this still valid: http://www.slideshare.net/VeeamSoftware ... and-tricks it mentions a lot of registry keys but not where to create them and there is a couple of Veeam keys in the registry?
Most of the registry keys should be created under the standard HKLM\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication hive. Not sure which keys are you referring to exactly.
CaptainFred wrote:Does the DownloadStreamsNumber (DWORD) improve TCP streams for backup or replication or both?
Both.
CaptainFred wrote:I ran a create synthetic full the other day, I had a full backup which was about 7TB, and 9 incremental backups of around 300-400GB each. It took 30 hours to create it! Would this be expected? I didn't have "transform previous full backup chains into rollbacks" enabled but would like to!
With such a large full I would say that this is expected (synthetic backup activity depends mostly on the target storage performance).
CaptainFred wrote:The backup server is physical and high spec, 12 x 2Ghz cores, 32GB RAM, backup storage is iSCSI 10GBE 24 x 3TB SATA drives in RAID 6. The new full backup file it resulted in is 10TB which surprised me a bit too. Will it automatically delete the 7TB full backup file depending on the rentetion/restore points?
Previous full will be removed according to the specified retention settings.

CaptainFred
Enthusiast

Post by CaptainFred » Oct 04, 2013 3:06 pm

I've just been watching the webinar "SureReplica -- put your replicas to work" and about half way through the question regarding what happens to replication when a SureReplica job is running. It started breaking up so I'm not 100% sure but I think they said that the SureReplica job stops when the replication job runs, so this means I wouldn't be able to use SureReplica for DR site testing by actual users because they would be half way through testing and production replication would start and stop all the SureReplica VMs! Is this what would happen?

This is a business requirement as I explained in my first post in this thread.

If, instead I used backup copy to copy my backup to DR, could I use a SureBackup job to bring up the VMs for testing and while in the background the backup copy job from production was still running, without affecting the SureBackup VMs running at the DR site?

Please can you clarify this as it's very important I get this right.
Thanks

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Liked: 1410 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » Oct 04, 2013 3:35 pm

Yes, SureBackup lab will shut down when either backup or replication job starts. Please find more information on this in our Help Center.

Please be aware that backup copy jobs cannot be used as a source for SureBackup jobs, since the main use case is to verify your backups first and only then send them to the offsite location for archival purposes. And I'm not sure how this would help, as backup files will be modified by the backup copy job anyway, so it will lead to the same behavior that was described above.

I would suggest disabling replication jobs for the time you need to verify all applications manually, and then enable them back.

Hope this helps!

CaptainFred
Enthusiast

Post by CaptainFred » Oct 04, 2013 4:04 pm

Oh. So bearing my business requirement in mind, what would you suggest? Could I use a backup copy to copy them to DR then a replication job to copy them again to DR using the backup copy as seed thus meaning I have 2 copies at DR, one for testing with, one to keep up to date from production? (Plus I would have best of both worlds, in backup format and VMDK format).

Or if I replicate the VMs to DR, stop replication and power them on manually for the testing, then power them off after testing has been finished then start replication again will replication continue like before and overwrite any changes made during the testing? ie. bringing them back in sync to production state?

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Post by Vitaliy S. » Oct 06, 2013 8:05 pm

The first case would still require stopping either a backup copy job or a replication job before running any tests, but it is, indeed, recommended to have 1 backup onsite, stand-by replicas and archival backup copies in the DR location.

Anyway, getting back to your business requirement, I would suggest one of the following scenarios:

1. Verify your onsite backups (don't forget to temporary disable backup jobs), while running replication jobs. This will protect you from any DR situation that might happen during verification process.

2. Verify your VM replicas, by running all the tests manually. The changes that you will make will discarded and VM replicas will again be in-sync with your production VMs. See this topic for additional details > VMware : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

CaptainFred
Enthusiast

Post by CaptainFred » Oct 07, 2013 11:03 am

Sorry I don't understand. How will either of these options meet my business requirement?

Are you saying that my statement below is correct?
Or if I replicate the VMs to DR, stop replication and power them on manually for the testing, then power them off after testing has been finished then start replication again will replication continue like before and overwrite any changes made during the testing? ie. bringing them back in sync to production state?
It won't have to replicate the whole VM to get it back in sync will it?

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Post by Vitaliy S. » Oct 07, 2013 11:17 am

If you need to perform extended testing and these tests overlap with regular job schedule, then you will need to disable your jobs until all your tests are complete. My first advice will give you both protection and time for testing (since you will be testing separate backup files/VM replicas).
CaptainFred wrote:It won't have to replicate the whole VM to get it back in sync will it?
Correct, only VM changes will be transmitted, not the entire VM.

CaptainFred
Enthusiast

Post by CaptainFred » Oct 07, 2013 11:25 am

This won't meet the business requirement because while testing is occurring I won't have replication to DR running so in the unlikely event of a disaster during a test the replica VMs will be out of date.

To confirm then, any changes that are made to a replica VM will be overwritten/discarded the next time replication runs?

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Post by Vitaliy S. » Oct 07, 2013 11:30 am

This won't meet the business requirement because while testing is occurring I won't have replication to DR running so in the unlikely event of a disaster during a test the replica VMs will be out of date.
Running SureBackup verification and regular backup/replication jobs targeted to the verified VMs at the same time is not possible. There should be a pause between these activities.
CaptainFred wrote:To confirm then, any changes that are made to a replica VM will be overwritten/discarded the next time replication runs?
Yes, see our sticky F.A.Q. for further details:
Sticky F.A.Q. wrote:Q: I want to test replica failover. Can I simply power on any replica restore point with vSphere Client?
A: Yes. Because each restore point is a snapshot, its content will remain intact, because all disk changes inflicted by the running VM will go into the new snapshot file that host automatically creates to protect the selected snapshot's state (standard VMware snapshot tree functionality). For the same reason, Veeam replication job will not be affected either. Testing replicas with v6 is really a breeze - thanks to the new way of storing replica restore points.

CaptainFred
Enthusiast

Post by CaptainFred » Oct 14, 2013 1:42 pm

I now have my main replication job running (on site to start with) of 59 production VMs of various sites, totaling about 14.6TB. I've selected my local backup repository as the repository for replica metadata.

1) Is the "repository for replica metadata" for storing replica data before it's sent to the replica destination?
2) My repository for replica metadata has 223 files, 147 foldes and is 8.10GB at present. Should I be backing this up to tape or offsite occasionally?
3) if the repository for replica metadata was lost for whatever reason, would it just re-create it? Would this affect the amount of data sent at the next replication job run?
4) Will the repository for replica metadata keep growing or does it size manage itself? shrink/cleanup files after the job has completed etc?

Thanks

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Post by Vitaliy S. » Oct 14, 2013 1:57 pm

CaptainFred wrote:1) Is the "repository for replica metadata" for storing replica data before it's sent to the replica destination?
Not really, this repository doesn't store any replicated VM data, it is used for storing VM replicas descriptive information.
CaptainFred wrote:2) My repository for replica metadata has 223 files, 147 foldes and is 8.10GB at present. Should I be backing this up to tape or offsite occasionally?
No, you do not need that. If you happen to lose this repository, VM replicas metadata will be rebuild on the next job run.
CaptainFred wrote:3) if the repository for replica metadata was lost for whatever reason, would it just re-create it? Would this affect the amount of data sent at the next replication job run?
Yes, it will be re-created. The amount of traffic sent will not be large, though digest recalculation (metadata rebuild) operation will take some time.
CaptainFred wrote:4) Will the repository for replica metadata keep growing or does it size manage itself? shrink/cleanup files after the job has completed etc?
It depends on the retention policy you choose. Please see this topic for additional info > Repository for Replica Metadata 20GB