Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Tos
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Toshihiro Kobayashi

Backup configuration of VMware Cloud on AWS

Post by Tos »

Hi

Our customer want to backup VMware Cloud on AWS by using Veeam B&R.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

They have two question.

##1
According to the document, it is recommended to deploy Veeam backup server in the VMware Cloud on AWS environment and deploy Backup Repository created Amazon EC2 server.

However, customer want to deploy Veeam backup server and Backup Repository on the same Amazon EC2 Windows Sevrer.

Is Veeam backup possible with this configuration ?
If not, why should we deploy Veeam backup server in the VMware Cloud on AWS environment ?

##2
The maximum EBS volume capacity is 16TB.
So, when run backup of VMware Cloud on AWS backup of 16 TB or more, should we create multiple repositories and coordinate the jobs so that the backup files do not exceed 16TB ?
Or should we register a Veeam repository as a single large spanned volume using the "Windows Storage Spaces" feature ?

Let me know.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup configuration of VMware Cloud on AWS

Post by HannesK »

Hello,

##1
I see no reason why it should not work.

##2
It depends on your size, but maybe 16 TB is enough to hold 1-2 weeks and you use capacity tier and move older data to S3?

I just searched the AWS FAQ and storage spaces are supported... so I would go for a larger volume on one repository https://aws.amazon.com/windows/faq/

If you use multiple repositories, then I would go for scale-out repositories. that balances the disk space usage over all extents.

Best regards,
Hannes
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Backup configuration of VMware Cloud on AWS

Post by Andreas Neufert »

#1 => As usuall you can install B&R wherever you like as long as it gets the needed network connections (firewall configuration). As only HotAdd is possible in VMC, you need to add at least one Proxy VM per VMC Cluster.

#2 It was just an exampl. As usual use whatever fits into your requirements and budget.