Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Backup copy job

Post by ashman70 »

I am using Veeam Backup standard at one particular client who is using a physical server as the repository, the server has an internal LTO drive and the contents of the repository are backed up on to tape every night but are rapidly outgrowing what I can fit on one tape.

I am thinking that I would like to setup Veeam on a second server at second site (office not DR site) that is connected to the primary office via a 10MB MPLS connection. I could then setup backup copy jobs so that I would have copies of the backups at an offsite location and then not have to back them up onto tape. Would this work? The goal here is to have an offsite copy of the backups, I have a second server at the primary site to which vm's are replicated to, its just if something happened to the primary site I'd have backup copies of the vm's offsite.

My understanding of the way the backup copy works is that the initial copy would be a full copy, so it would take some time across the 10MB MPLS connection, correct?

Is there a better way to do achieve what I want without necessarily having to upgrade to a higher Veeam license?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup copy job

Post by veremin »

You can store backups on tapes or at secondary location. Either of approaches fits into 3-2-1 picture.
My understanding of the way the backup copy works is that the initial copy would be a full copy, so it would take some time across the 10MB MPLS connection, correct?
Correct, but you can seed your backup copy job first.

Thanks.
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

So from what I gather from that post you linked to on seeding the backup copy job I would do this:

Copy the current backup copy job data to the second location, setup and configure Veeam with a new reposotiory pointing to the backup copy job data I copied from the first location, and setup new backup copy jobs ?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Yep, copy current backup copy data, create a repository, create a new backup copy job, select the newly created repository as its target and map the job to the copied data. By the way, what product version you're using? And does you current backup copy job have GFS restore points? Thanks.
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

Veeam 8.01, how do I check if it has GFS restore points?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

You can find a corresponding label nearby GFS restore point in the GUI ("W" for weekly, "M" - monthly, etc.).
Or you can check the files in the datastore: each GFS restore point has a corresponding postfix in its file name (<filename>_WMQY.vbk), you can use this for determination.
Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

And if don't happen to have GFS restore points in the backup copy chain, then, feel free to stick to the described procedure. Otherwise (if there are some GFS points), kindly, wait for patch 2, since currently backup copy job cannot be mapped to a chain containing GFS points. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

v.Eremin wrote:Otherwise (if there are some GFS points), kindly, wait for patch 2, since currently backup copy job cannot be mapped to a chain containing GFS points.
As a workaround, you can create temporary local backup copy job from the backup job and then use its new backup chain for seeding.