Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backup copy job to 2nd location

Post by Gostev »

btmaus wrote:If I use Veeam, I need to specify a dedicated gateway server on both sites for the backup copy job data, so I can limit the network traffic. However, if I specify the gateway server, then Veeam will always use that server for the backup copy jobs itself, potentially overloading it?
Correct. But since it does not do much, I would not worry about overloading it.
btmaus
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Post by btmaus »

Hi Gostvev, thanks for the reply. So just to confirm, my Proxy servers in Site A are also the "automatic" gateway servers as well for the CIFS shares on the local DR6000. So if they are replicating backup copy job data to site B, and there are backups or backup copies are running as well, you don't see any potential performance issue?
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Post by rreed »

Use the device's built-in replication. We run EMC Data Domains and Dell DR4100's. Use the built-in stuff and let it handle it - it only replicates deduped data so much less traffic and far greater reliability. Just be sure to share your replicated container in secondary site and setup as a repository in Veeam so it'll be there and ready when disaster strikes.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Glenn,
Correct, that way you need to send the data between sites only once and no performance issues should appear.
btmaus
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Post by btmaus »

rreed wrote:Use the device's built-in replication. We run EMC Data Domains and Dell DR4100's. Use the built-in stuff and let it handle it - it only replicates deduped data so much less traffic and far greater reliability.
Thanks, this is what I have ended up doing and it's working brilliantly. It's extremely quick and reliable so far. Very efficient too, as out of 30TB of data, it only sent 7TB across the wire :lol: