Backup Copy Jobs not working when repository is Linux

Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor

Backup Copy Jobs not working when repository is Linux

Veeam Logoby davecla » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:25 am

I've got a local veeam repository on linux have been running backup copy job to a NTFS based repository at secondary site for years - all was working well.

Wanted to move repository at remote site to linux. Created new repository and copied over local backups. Remapped Backup Job. Backup of servers at remote site to repository at remote site are working fine.

Want to move backup copy jobs to new remote linux repository. Copied over files and remapped copy job. Copy job now failed with error "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it xx.xx.xx.xx:2500.

I've got no idea how the backup job can work, but they backup copy does not. Anyone got any pointers?

thx
dave
davecla
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dave Clarke

Re: Backup Copy Jobs not working when repository is Linux

Veeam Logoby nitramd » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:22 pm

Firewall issue? Veeam B&R needs access to ports 2500-5000 on the repository.

Have you checked your Linux log files for clues?
nitramd
Expert

Liked: 19 times

[MERGED] Linux Backup repository refusing connections

Veeam Logoby zx81 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:18 am

Case ID# 03124279

I'm having intermittent problems with a Veeam linux repository. This repository is shared between a Veeam Backup and Replication server and a separate Veeam Cloud Connect server. I understand that you can share a repository in this way, but must take into account the number of concurrent tasks configured for this repository on each Veeam Backup server. And that the two servers obviously can't know how many tasks the other is running. I understand that the recommendation is for 1 task per core.

The repository in question is a physical machine with 2 CPUs, 12 cores and 96GB of RAM. I'm seeing intermittent backup copy job failures with the error No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 10.x.x.x:2514.

Is there a way to debug this issue on the linux repository server itself? When the problem is happening I can't find any issues on the linux server. It has plenty of free RAM, CPU and disk IO. It's clear that at some point the backup repository is refusing backup copy job data for some reason, but I've searched the syslog and auth logs for issues related to ssh or anything else and can't find any problems. I also notice that each backup copy job even when idle maintains a running process in the form /tmp/VeeamAgentxxxx, so I'm not sure how to work out if I'm exceeding the recommended number of tasks at a given time.

In short, does Veeam log anything on the linux repository that could help me determine why it seems to be refusing connections some of the time? How can I identify which processes to count to ensure I'm not exceeding 1 task per core?

Thanks,
zx81
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time

Re: Linux Backup repository refusing connections

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi,

Have you tried to run a backup job while the repo is refusing backup copy jobs? What is your source repository?

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 342 times

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:00 pm

Hi Dave, sorry for the delay with response.

Have you contacted our support team already? If not then please do so and let us know your case ID.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby nitramd » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:54 pm

@zx81, have you double checked your firewall settings? Ports 2500-5000 should be open on the repository.
nitramd
Expert

Veeam Logoby zx81 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:02 am

@nitramd There aren't any firewall rules between the Veeam Server and the repository. The problem is intermittent, the backups work most of the time. I could see how a firewall error that didn't open the range completely could cause this issue, but unfortunately that's not the case here.
zx81
Service Provider

Re: Linux Backup repository refusing connections

Veeam Logoby zx81 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:06 am

PTide wrote:Have you tried to run a backup job while the repo is refusing backup copy jobs? What is your source repository?

Hi,

Unfortunately I've never managed to catch the problem while it's live. Whenever I login to check and then force the job to Sync Now, it works. The source repository is another Linux based repository at a different site.
zx81
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby nitramd » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:51 pm

@zx81,

Have a look at this post regarding a socket being forcibly closed - it may or may not apply: veeam-backup-replication-f2/socket-has-been-forcibly-closed-t46532.html
nitramd
Expert

Veeam Logoby PTide » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:49 am

zx81,

I've briefly reviewed your case and noticed that there were actually two support engineers who handled your case, and one of them (from VCSP support team) asked you to send them the logs so they could find out why exactly the target datamover process wasn't listening. Have you done that? The thing is that there are many reasons why the error could have occurred, including the target datamover process agent crash. On the other hand, if it was really due to lack of CPU, the datamover shouldn't have crashed. Please let the support team investigate the root cause.

Thank you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby zx81 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:18 am

There are no outstanding requests for logs for the case (ID# 03124279) I referenced? I've already provided logs from the backup server, including that of the target repository that is refusing connections. So I'm not sure where you are getting that I haven't proactively been working with support on this case?

Maybe you're talking about yet another case for Veeam Cloud Connect? I'm also battling several Veeam problems that aren't the subject of a case (including ReFS hard hangs) and you're right, I haven't found time to get those logs yet. I have to prioritize the work on several Veeam problems.
zx81
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby PTide » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:54 am

I'm referencing case 03124279. Right, there seemingly were no outstanding requests, however the engineers have switched at some point, so I wanted to clarify whether or not the substitute engineer got your logs (I've contacted him already, so he will review the case again).

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:56 am

Default SSHD Service on Linux is not optimized for the Veeam usage (multiple connections). Please change:
etc/ssh/sshd_conf settings:
ClientAliveInterval 30
TCPKeepAlive yes
ClientAliveCountMax 99999
MaxSessions 200
MaxStartups 100:30:200
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Liked: 466 times
Full Name: @AndyandtheVMs Veeam PM

Return to VMware vSphere