Backup of independent disks

VMware specific discussions

Re: Backup of independent disks

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:14 am

Hi, Magnus,

Please, see explanations provided above about the reasons why backup of VM with independent virtual disks outputs warning, instead of error.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby masonit » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:56 am

v.Eremin wrote:Hi, Magnus,

Please, see explanations provided above about the reasons why backup of VM with independent virtual disks outputs warning, instead of error.

Thanks.

Thank you v.Eremin! Veeam doesn't output a warning. It says OK..!

Well this is a no brainer. Anyone that has ever been responsible for a backup system knows that these kind of "bugs" are the worst. I just found out that Veeam didn't backup a 1 TB disk without saying anything! :shock:
If you don't want to enable errors for this. Atleast make it possible to turn this on in registry as vMO said.

What more of these kind of errors are not reported? And that Gostev laughs at this as it is no big deal... :shock: ...

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Magnus Andersson

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:04 pm

Hi Magnus, registry key as well as Veeam ONE Free Edition report can be a solution here indeed. Thanks for your feedback.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu May 01, 2014 7:01 pm

masonit wrote:And that Gostev laughs at this as it is no big deal... :shock: ...

Sounds like you did not read any of my posts beyond the smiley face then... because I have recognized the issue with this approach for certain type of customers, and proposed some ways to address it without impacting existing users. But there have been no feedback on my proposal over the course of many months, perhaps because only a handful of people actually consider this to be an issue...

Again, these disks were reported originally, but this reporting was removed based on large amount of feedback. We don't disable existing and working functionality unless there is a big push from our user base, trust me. This is why I need to find a solution here that will not impact existing users who are happy with (and asked for) the current behavior.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby masonit » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:03 pm

Or maybe just a handful people have found out.. :)

Ok sorry maybe I overreacted. But you must realize that this could be a huge issue for some. We backup alot of different virtual environments. Some of them the only access we have is through Veeam. We are not admins and don't monitor them so the only information we get is through Veeam. Then Veeam doesn't report these drives is not good...

Any news on the possibility to choose if this should be a warning or not?

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:19 pm

Nothing has changed, but as a workaround for now, you can use a nicely formatted report to assess every VM configuration (not only for independent disks, but for pRDMs and other potential issues) that is available in the free version of Veeam ONE.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby masonit » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:05 am

Vitaliy S. wrote:Nothing has changed, but as a workaround for now, you can use a nicely formatted report to assess every VM configuration (not only for independent disks, but for pRDMs and other potential issues) that is available in the free version of Veeam ONE.

Does Veeam One retrieve this information from Veeam or from Vmware?

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:09 am

Information about vSphere infrastructure is retrieved by Veeam ONE directly from vSphere. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby masonit » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:19 am

v.Eremin wrote:Information about vSphere infrastructure is retrieved by Veeam ONE directly from vSphere. Thanks.

Ok then Veeam One is not a good option for us. I really hope Veeam can tell us this instead in a near future.. :)

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:00 am

masonit wrote:Does Veeam One retrieve this information from Veeam or from Vmware? Ok then Veeam One is not a good option for us.

I'm a bit confused with your question, what do you mean by saying "retrieve info from Veeam or VMware"?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

[MERGED] v8 now warns for independent disks

Veeam Logoby ramnefors » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:06 pm

I have a few VM with independent disks that should not be backed up. In v7 these VM showed "green" now they show "yellow" with a warning that there are independent disks on these VM that are not backed up.

As this is intended how do I get back the v7 behavior, i.e. no warning?
ramnefors
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mats Ramnefors

Re: v8 now warns for independent disks

Veeam Logoby tinto1970 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:50 pm

I think it's intended and it's a good idea.
Alessandro Tinivelli aka Tinto
@tinto1970
tinto1970
Enthusiast

Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Alessandro Tinivelli

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:53 pm

Gostev wrote:Perhaps we can find some middle ground, for example the warning is only displayed when the VM is backed up for the very first time (first full backup). This way, the change will not affect any existing jobs.

My proposed solution will solve the dynamic container issue. Each time the new VM falls into the job's scope, we will warn ONCE (during the very first full backup) that it has some unsupported disk types. And you will never see this warning again for that particular VM, at least until it has a change in virtual disks configuration.

This also means you will not get any warnings on your existing jobs after upgrade, because all those VMs already have full backups created at least once

This functionality has been added into v8. Thanks all for your feedback!

ramnefors wrote:As this is intended how do I get back the v7 behavior, i.e. no warning?

So just as I predicted on the previous page of this topic, first complaint about the warning just a few days after release :D
But don't worry, you will only see this warning once, when creating first ever restore point for any VM (see quote above).
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

[MERGED] Excluded Independent disks- inor v.8 bug? / enhance

Veeam Logoby averylarry » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:36 pm

I have a VM with a bunch of virtual disks that are explicitly excluded from backup (Virtual machines, Exclusions, Disks tab). They are also set to be independent (cannot snapshot).

These disks are generating a warning message from the Veeam backup job.

"Disk 'win2_1.vmdk' has been skipped due to unsupported type (independent)"

I would suggest that this shouldn't be a warning, since the disks are excluded.

Independent disks that are not excluded should generate a warning.
Independent disks that are excluded should not generate a warning.
averylarry
Expert

Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Ted

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:49 pm

Hi Ted, please take a look at Anton's response why and how we have adjusted notification behavior in v8.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere