Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
davicillo
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: david lopez

backup proxy doubts

Post by davicillo »

good afternoon,

The query is about what mode of transport the proxy uses when we check the Automatic selection option.
On the other hand, can they choose different modes depending on each machine within the same task?
We have seen that if a machine has snapshot the option Direct Storage Access is not supported.

Thanks a lot
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: backup proxy doubts

Post by PetrM »

Hi David,

Veeam detects proxies which can access the source datastore and automatically assigns an optimal proxy for VM processing. Proxies are assigned one by one and if more than one proxy is available, our business-logic will analyze transport modes that can be used to get VM data and the current load level on every proxy server in order to pick the best one.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

And regarding transport modes priority, those are selected (in case several are available) in the following order: Direct storage access > Virtual appliance > Network.
davicillo
Enthusiast

Post by davicillo »

But in the same task can you choose different proxies for each machine of that same task? Or does it choose the proxy for the task and all machines are run with the same proxy?

Thank you both very much
davicillo
Enthusiast

Post by davicillo »

foggy wrote: Feb 24, 2022 5:06 pm And regarding transport modes priority, those are selected (in case several are available) in the following order: Direct storage access > Virtual appliance > Network.
Yes, but in case you have the possibility of the three methods, I understand that you choose the most efficient and not necessarily in that order. We have tasks that for efficiency always choose HotAdd even if we have all three
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

But in the same task can you choose different proxies for each machine of that same task?
If by "task" you mean a job, then yes.
Or does it choose the proxy for the task and all machines are run with the same proxy?
Not, it does not.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

davicillo wrote: Feb 28, 2022 1:55 pm But in the same task can you choose different proxies for each machine of that same task? Or does it choose the proxy for the task and all machines are run with the same proxy?
Sure, proxy selection is done on a per VM basis, i.e. you can potentially have multiple proxies processing the different VMs in the same job.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

davicillo wrote: Feb 28, 2022 2:06 pm Yes, but in case you have the possibility of the three methods, I understand that you choose the most efficient and not necessarily in that order. We have tasks that for efficiency always choose HotAdd even if we have all three
Likely slots on direct SAN proxy are occupied by other tasks.
davicillo
Enthusiast

Post by davicillo »

veremin wrote: Feb 28, 2022 2:17 pm If by "task" you mean a job, then yes.

Not, it does not.

Thanks!
I am referring to a scheduled job with different machines, if the proxy chooses the best option for each VM or only chooses for the scheduled job in general.
davicillo
Enthusiast

Post by davicillo »

foggy wrote: Feb 28, 2022 2:21 pm Sure, proxy selection is done on a per VM basis, i.e. you can potentially have multiple proxies processing the different VMs in the same job.
Sorry, I didn't explain myself well. I don't mean the proxy, but the mode of transport within the proxy
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The proxy is selected based on available transport modes.