Backup Replicate vCenter VM?

VMware specific discussions

Veeam v6 Backup vCenter SQL Hanging

Veeam Logoby dinger76 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:25 am

[merged]

Hi,

We've got Veeam B&R v6 with Patch 3. Recently we moved out vCenter database onto a new VM and began backing it up with Veeam. It now appears to be freezing and also freezing any other jobs running at that time. I believe that it is caused by the VSS processing on the vCenter database. It is locking the server to perform its snapshot and therefore is unable to receive confirmation that the Snapshot is completed successfully, to continue with the backup.

Would you advise that we do not use VSS for the SQL server hosting the vCenter database?

Thanks
dinger76
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Bell

Vcenter VM and VSS Backup

Veeam Logoby magmaviper » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:34 pm

[merged]

I have found a topic going over the Vcenter VM and VSS not working properly when attempting to backup.

Is there any problem with just disabling VSS and backing it up that way?
magmaviper
Novice

Liked: never

Re: Backup Replicate vCenter VM?

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:39 pm

You may want to apply the workarounds mentioned in this thread, but disabling VSS will also do the trick provided that SQL Server backing your vCenter is not highly transactional (used by many other apps).
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1103 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

How to backup Vcenter 5.0 (VM) with Veeam V6.1?

Veeam Logoby MikeUNS » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:35 pm

[merged]

Hello all,

I would like to backup the vCenter VM with Veeam 6.1. The Veeam backup server is installed on a seperate VM from vCenter VM.
I've already read that creating a new backup job for the vCenter VM via the vCenter (managed servers) itself won't work. It seems that I need to create the job via ESXI host instead.... ok... but...
How to proceed? As the ESXI host where the vCenter VM resides is already registred via the vCenter?

I've already check this KB article:
http://www.veeam.com/kb_articles.html/KB1051

Maybe it's simple, but I don't know how to deal with it?

Thanks for your help,
Regards,
Michaël
MikeUNS
Lurker

Full Name: Michael Militoni

Veeam Logoby PatrickP » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:03 am 1 person likes this post

Hello all,

I have the same problems. I cannot add a standalone ESXi Host while I have added the vCenter Server which is managing this standalone ESXi Host. So I cannot backup the vCenter VM. How to proceed?!

Regards

Patrick
PatrickP
Lurker

Full Name: Patrick Paulus

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:13 am

Patrick, please add the standalone host via IP address, should make a trick.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby PatrickP » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:17 am

Vitaliy, I cannot add the host, I will get an error message that this Host is already added by the vCenter.
PatrickP
Lurker

Full Name: Patrick Paulus

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:46 am

How is this host added to your vCenter Server, via IP address or via its hostname?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:51 pm

If it is added via IP, use its host name to add as standalone (and vice versa).
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

[MERGED] [backing up Vcenter] Unable to specify direct host

Veeam Logoby maxfontana » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi there.
I've been using two esxi 4.1 hosts in a cluster along with veeam backup and replication. My Vcenter server is a Windows 2008 R2 vm.
During the first steps of veeam's configuration, I've specified the IP of the vcenter server. Now I'd like to add a backup job in order to backup also my vcenter server vm and I'm aware that I should specify the direct IP of the host which is holding the vm but when I try to add it, veeam warnss me that this IP has been already specified......
Is it a normal behaviour ? Which alternative would you suggest? I'd prefeer to avoid disabling VSS and producing a crash consistent backup.
Many thanks in advance,
Max
Italy
maxfontana
Influencer

Full Name: Massimiliano Fontana

Veeam Logoby maxfontana » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:38 pm

Gostev wrote:If it is added via IP, use its host name to add as standalone (and vice versa).

Thank you! This did the trick :wink:
maxfontana
Influencer

Full Name: Massimiliano Fontana

[MERGED] Replikation of Vcenter VM

Veeam Logoby she » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:07 pm

hi
Is there something Special if we want to do Replication the Vcenter VM to a different esx Server ?
We have two Running esx 5.1 essential vcenters Where we want to replicate the two VCenter VMs Vice VersA to the Other Vcenter
Should we make separate repl Jobs for this Vcenter VMs ?
Does the Running repl Job make any Performance Problems for the repl of normal VM ?
we are Running veeam 6.5

Thanks
she
Influencer

Full Name: she

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi She,

Creating separate jobs for vCenter Server VMs will give you a better flexibility in terms of job management, but generally it shouldn't matter. As to your last question, then there shouldn't be any performance issues while replicating vCenter Server VMs.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Replication stuck at Discovering Replica VM

Veeam Logoby jimmyroot » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi all,

I have a strange problem trying to replicate a VM.

The set up itself is simple, I have two ESXi 4.1 hosts, a primary which serves as the main host running 5 VMs and a second host which runs 1vm and hosts the Veeam replicas. There is a windows VM on the primary host which runs vCenter services and Veeam 6.0.

Veeam is able to, and has been for some time, replicate the VMs, except for the VM running Veeam/vCenter, which since this infrastructure was installed hasn't been replicated, due to the lack of additional Veeam Proxies.

I have recently configured one of the other VMs (standard Windows 7 pro) as a Veeam Proxy in order to facilitate the replication of the VM running Veeam/vCenter, however the new job never gets off the ground - it simply gets to "Discovering Replica VM" (viewed from statistics) and then hangs at this point, and I can't work out why. I'm attempting to replicate it to the second host. After the job gets stuck, I can't stop it unless I restart the server running Veeam. I've tried restarting the Backup Proxy Service on the machine acting as proxy, to no avail. The job is simply stuck until I restart the Veeam server.

I've disabled everything except Network mode on the new Proxy, and made sure Veeam processes are being allowed through the firewall. I've also tried with the firewall off completely.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for, given the point at which the job is hanging?

Thanks in advance :) hope I explained that ok.

Jim
jimmyroot
Influencer

Full Name: Jimmy Newman

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Jimmy, please look through the topic you've been merged into for the tips on replicating vCenter Server VM. If you still have any additional questions, feel free to ask here.

Also, there is another useful link for you, since you have both vCenter and Veeam B&R deployed on the same VM: Install VEEAM and vCenter on same server?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1081 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere