Backup Replicate vCenter VM?

VMware specific discussions

Backup Replicate vCenter VM?

Veeam Logoby pufferdude » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:44 pm

What is the best practice for backing up a vCenter VM with Veeam? Based on other topics here it looks like you should not point the job at the vCenter and then select the VM, but instead point directly at the host the vCenter is running on. However, this seems like it would make it necessary to manually edit the job every time you happen to vMotion the vCenter VM to another host. Is this correct, and just a fact of life using veeam to back up the vCenter, or am I missing something obvious that would let the vCenter move around and veeam could still find it?
pufferdude
Expert

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Jim

Re: Back up vCenter VM?

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:45 pm

Hello Jim, yes this is "the fact of life" right now, if you are using Veeam VSS.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:51 pm

pufferdude wrote:What is the best practice for backing up a vCenter VM with Veeam? Based on other topics here it looks like you should not point the job at the vCenter and then select the VM, but instead point directly at the host the vCenter is running on. However, this seems like it would make it necessary to manually edit the job every time you happen to vMotion the vCenter VM to another host. Is this correct, and just a fact of life using veeam to back up the vCenter, or am I missing something obvious that would let the vCenter move around and veeam could still find it?

Nope, you're not missing anything, you have to edit the job every time. It's super annoying but we've learned to leave our vCenter alone and documented a procedure if it ever needs to be moved which includes updating the Veeam job.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1737 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby TheVirtualDude » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:48 am

In my environment we have three hosts and I keep mine on the first host and disable the vmotion on that particular server. This way I don't have to modify the VBR job everytime. If I ever need to do maintenance, I could manually vmotion the server off to another host and bring it back when Im done. Just a thought.
TheVirtualDude
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Faisal Farooqui

Veeam Logoby TrevorBell » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:46 am 1 person likes this post

HI,

I backup my Vcentre with its own job with Network Mode without vss...works 100% for me no matter what host it is on i dont change any settings it just backs up from any host vmotion friendly you could say... having vss isnt too mission critical i feel for my business ...aslong as i have a backup copy..i do not put my vb sql database elsewhere i keep it on the vcentre vm too.

But if you need a transactioanlly correct vcentre vm then above is what you need to do..but maybe just think if you have your VB sql db elsewhere why do you need to use VSS with Vcentre vm :?:

i admin i run only 42 vms so configuring vb from scratch takes 20 mins in larger environments you may have a different view :)
TrevorBell
Expert

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Veeam Logoby shearingc » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:56 am

Hi,

We are just looking into our vCenter backup again after moving to vSphere 4.1.

Could you not create multiple vss jobs for each server that vCenter could vMotion or DRS to?

Each night 1 backup should succeed and the others fail, no matter which server the vCenter is on

When restoring you just choose the latest file (or can you point multiple veeam jobs at the same file?)

Worst case seems to me is that you could have multiple backup files for vCenter (but it tends to be pretty small anyway? At least it is for us - 12 hosts)
shearingc
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:28 am

Yes, you may create each job for corresponding host to backup vCenter Server. But please note that you will be using standalone host connection and in order to add vCenter Server to the job you should have it presented on the host, meaning that you should wait till your vCenter migrates to a particular host and then create a backup job. Having said that, it sounds a bit complicated for me, don't you think? But it was a nice try :wink:

Basically, each job corresponds to its specific backup file, in other words, you cannot point multiple jobs at the same file, but you may use Enterprise Managers console to view the summary info about all your recent sessions and available backup files with creation dates displayed.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:23 pm

shearingc wrote:Hi,
We are just looking into our vCenter backup again after moving to vSphere 4.1.
Could you not create multiple vss jobs for each server that vCenter could vMotion or DRS to?
Each night 1 backup should succeed and the others fail, no matter which server the vCenter is on
When restoring you just choose the latest file (or can you point multiple veeam jobs at the same file?)
Worst case seems to me is that you could have multiple backup files for vCenter (but it tends to be pretty small anyway? At least it is for us - 12 hosts)

The problem with your theory is that the only way to backup the vCenter VM is to do it directly via the ESX host. This means that you're using the VMID from the perspective of the ESX host, not the vCenter server. While the Veeam GUI uses the hostname (or a folder) to select hosts for backup, underneath the covers it's actually selecting the VMID of the host. When vCenter migrates a VM from one host the another, the VMID of the VM does not change from vCenter perspective, however, the VMID from the ESX host perspective may very well be different.

Or, in other words, even if you vMotion your vCenter host back to the original VM, the Veeam job may very well still be broken because the VMID changed. You have to run through the properties on the job and remove and readd the vCenter host before the job will work again. You would have this same issue if you had jobs for every ESX host.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1737 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

I cannot backup the vCenter Server

Veeam Logoby RumataRus » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:17 am

[merged]

Our vCenter Server and Veeam Backup & Replcation Server are VMs.
I use Virtual Appliance mode and "Enable application-aware image processing".
At the beginning of backup process Veeam Backup & Replcation says "VSSControl: Failed to freeze guest, wait timeout".
Is it possible to backup the vCenter Server running in VM?
RumataRus
Enthusiast

Full Name: Dmitry Prokudin

Veeam Logoby VMNewbie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:15 pm

We have a similar setup where our vCenter server is a VM. Our main SQL server (also a VM) is hosting our vCenter database and Veeam databases. I understand that I'll need to backup the vCenter VM through a direct host connection. I'm a little confused as to why we may be required to do the same for our SQL server. Can anyone explain why we wouldn't be able to backup our SQL server through vCenter?
VMNewbie
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:03 pm

Jeffrey,

If you have a remote SQL server hosting vCenter server database, then most likely you wouldn't need standalone host connection to back it up, though I haven't tried that as my vCenter server is running on the local SQL server.

I guess the behaviour might be the same, as we had while backing up Veeam configuration database: Backing up the SQL Server that Veeam uses

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby J.Leeflang » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:02 am

I think it should be possible for Veeam Backup & Replication to have a special vCenter job option containing only vCenter Server.

I would suggest the following:
Add a job creation option for vCenter.
Let the user select the VM containing vCenter en configure it like any other job.
At the moment the job starts Veeam checks with vCenter for the host vCenter is running on.
Next Veeam dynamically creats a subjob in the background for the vCenter VM on the proper host using all settings provided by the main job.
It than runs the backup of vCenter without any problems.
The subjob is maintained and will be automatically modified if the vCenter VM gets moved to another host.

I don't know if it is possible to use the incremental and/or deduplication function because of a change of VMID, but I rather see a properly backup of my vCenter with an extra use of diskspace than a non-consistant backup with less diskspace.

Regards
J.Leeflang
Novice

Full Name: Jeroen Leeflang

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:22 am

Hello Jeroen,

Thanks for the suggestions.

J.Leeflang wrote:I don't know if it is possible to use the incremental and/or deduplication function because of a change of VMID, but I rather see a properly backup of my vCenter with an extra use of diskspace than a non-consistant backup with less diskspace.

The CBT option wouldn't work in this scenario, as vCenter Server VM will have a new ID assigned after migration.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby J.Leeflang » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:45 am

That shouldn't be the worst thing. As I said, rather a good full functioning large backup that is vMotion compatible than saving on diskspace but with lots of user interaction or a non-consistant backup.

Hope you can implement something like this very soon!
J.Leeflang
Novice

Full Name: Jeroen Leeflang

Veeam Logoby Rick.Vanover » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:09 am

Must it only be add host? Can not the add datastore option be used?
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software

Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Next

Return to VMware vSphere