Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
iceman2133
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Naperski

Backup/Replication to Veeam Directly from NetApp

Post by iceman2133 »

Overview of Setup:
Production
NetApp FAS 2720 - Main Production LUN Datastores with Snapshot and Replications schedules within the NetApp
NetApp E2812 - iSCSI connection with an 18TB Datastore setup as a local repository within Veeam from VMware

DR Site
NetApp FAS 2720 - Receiving SnapMirrors from Production 2720

I currently have a NetApp FAS 2720 integrated into Veeam with the ONTAP integration. We also have an E-Series 2812 NetApp that we have configured into vCenter as an 18TB repository that is configured as a Datastore within VMware and presented into the Veeam VM as a .vmdk. The datastore shows up without issues and I can backup to that local repository without issue and file transfer speeds are around 300MB/s.

That is great, but we are not utilizing the integration with the NetApp at all. All of the backup traffic is going through VMware instead of only though the NetApp. What we are looking to achieve are the following two options:
  • Take a backup from the NetApp volume and back that up directly from the main site production FAS 2720 to the E-Series repository to bypass going into the VMware environment to keep things isolated.
  • Take the snapmirror from the FAS 2720 at the DR site and use that for the replica so we aren't migrating the VMs over the internet and the SnapMirror datastores.
I have used guides such as this one below, but we always seem to be using VMware's datstores to backup:
https://backupheroes.co.uk/uploads/imag ... _guide.pdf

If you can provide any assistance to get this working that would be greatly appreciated! Please feel free to let me know if I need to clarify anything or provide additional information.

Thanks!
Jeff
Adam.Bergh
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Adam Bergh

Re: Backup/Replication to Veeam Directly from NetApp

Post by Adam.Bergh »

Hi Jeff,

I'm assuming you have "enterprise plus" licenses for VBR? This license level is required to be able to backup directly from NetApp snapshots. Also, what protocol is being used for the primary FAS2720? If it's FC, that wouldn't be supported on a virtual Veeam proxy, and we would have to use ISCSI. For backup directly on ISCSI, make sure that the Veeam proxy(s) all have an second nic on the ISCSI VLAN and a proper IP address on the same subnet as the NetApp ISCSI LIFs. If you're using jumbo frames that must also match. Verify that Windows ISCSI services are installed on the Veeam proxy before enabling the NetApp integrations (added the cluster to VBR). If ISCSI services were not enabled when the NetApp cluster was added to VBR, you may need to remove and re-add the cluster after enabling the ISCSI services.

Regards,
Adam Bergh
iceman2133
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Naperski

Post by iceman2133 »

Hey Adam,

Thank you for reaching out! You are correct we do have enterprise plus and everything is on iSCSI.

So we have our Veeam Proxy on the Veeam server VM within VMware so you are suggesting we install the proxy on a separate server, dedicate 2 NICs (1 for regular LAN traffic and 1 for the iSCSI setup) and setup the proxy on a separate Virtual machine?

Thanks,
Jeff
Adam.Bergh
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Adam Bergh

Post by Adam.Bergh »

You can use an "all in one" VBR install where you do not separate out the proxy. What ever host(s) you do use for the proxy will need two NICs just as you wrote (1 for regular LAN traffic and 1 for the iSCSI setup).

-Adam