Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bhunt
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Bernie Hunt

Backup Server as VM or Hardware

Post by bhunt »

I'm in a VMware environment and will be backup up my VMs to a NAS. From a recovery standpoint am I better making the backup server a vm or hardware.

If I make it a VM and the esxi, I'll have to build another one and manually move the backup server vm on to start recovering.

If it is a hardware machine, then I save the step of transferring the VM onto the new esxi. Does this really matter?

While I'm at it, should the Backup Server be on the domain or now? From a recovery standpoint it will be online before the domain so should it be off the domain?

Sorry for so many questions, I'd rather solve this before everything is down and I figure out I did it wrong, hahaha.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backup Server as VM or Hardware

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Bernie,

Basically, it does not matter whether a backup server is physical or virtual so the choice depends on the specific environment and use case scenarios. You may take a look at this article, it's still actual and might be helpful.

I'd suggest to refer to our best practices guide for pros and cons of deployment of Veeam components within a domain or a workgroup. It can also help you to decide on backup server placement.

Thanks!