Backup the replicated VMs

VMware specific discussions

Re: Backup the replicated VMs

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:28 pm

1. If you want to backup both production and replication VMs, then, you would need a license covering number of sockets both hosts have in total.
2. Absence of CBT would be biggest drawback, right.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1006 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:15 pm

If the reason for switching to this strategy is having snapshot on production VMs only once, then you can keep using backup jobs and then configuring replication jobs to replicate data from these backups.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1120 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] What happens if you attempt to backup a replica VM

Veeam Logoby jbarrow.viracoribt » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:51 pm

So we replicate from site A to site B.
We want to get a backup of the VM's at site A as well but we don't want to transfer it over the wire.
So, we were thinking of setting up an backup job that would backup the replicated VM's created at site B to save on the WAN bandwidth.

My question is, what would happen if the backup job kicked off, and it attempted to backup a replica image that was currently being replicated into by the replication job? Would it wait, give an error, go haywire, etc?
jbarrow.viracoribt
Expert

Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Jonathan Barrow

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:55 pm

Consider using replication from backup files instead, since backup of replica VMs has some limitations (review this thread for details).
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED]: Re: Speed of backups

Veeam Logoby jbarrow.viracoribt » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:06 pm

I get this error "Changed block tracking cannot be enabled: one or more snapshots present." When I attempt to back up replicated VM's. Is there any way to disable this feature since a replica VM will always have a snapshot present?
jbarrow.viracoribt
Expert

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:36 pm

Are trying to backup replicated VMs? If so, absence of CBT is expected, and you can totally disable this feature in the job settings. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby jbarrow.viracoribt » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:34 pm

FYI, you CANNOT backup a replica VM while a replica job is running. There is currently no detection built into Veeam B&R for this and it will in turn corrupt your replica images and cause all sorts of job errors. You must manually make sure these jobs don't overlap (with scheduling) otherwise you could have a headache to comb through and replicas to recreate.

Case: 01130050
jbarrow.viracoribt
Expert

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:58 am

You're right. If backup and replication jobs are executed from different backup consoles, you'd better make sure they do not overlap. Otherwise, different issues are expected.

If both are created on the same console, you should not come across the said problem.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby jbarrow.viracoribt » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:14 pm

Nope, the problem exists on even if on the same console. The jobs do not wait for each other. Check my ticket details for confirmation of this.
jbarrow.viracoribt
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:26 pm

I believe hotadd is the culprit here, at least in your particular case. When the replication job started to remove disks from the target proxy, it was confused by the disks created by backup job's snapshot. So the recommendation to avoid jobs overlapping does indeed make sense in such scenarios.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby jbarrow.viracoribt » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:50 pm

So are you saying that if we used Network mode instead of hottadd we should not run into this issue?
jbarrow.viracoribt
Expert

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:30 pm

There could be other consequences as per our support team investigation. Switching to network mode might be a fix for your current ticket, but still general recommendation should be to avoid any overlaps.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1120 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] Veeam replicating a Veeam replica

Veeam Logoby 5mall5nail5 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:29 pm

Hi all -

I have a particular instance where I am unable to use Veeam to replicate from my source to my final destination. The company I am working for has been acquired and we're moving our virtual infrastructure to the parent company. However, due to politics right now, I cannot get access to the remote ESXi host. Instead, the IT team wants to use Veeam replication to replicate to a host that they will send me on-prem. Then, they'll establish a VPN between that ESXi host and one at their facility and Veeam the server from this intermediate host to their host. So, in short, rather than Veeam directly to the destination, there is a middle ground ESXi host that the VM will be replicate to (but will not run from). The parent IT team will then configure Veeam replication on that VM, while it's still being replicated at the source side, and cut over to the final destination.

Is this a support migration path for Veeam replication? My concern is that the source side replication may not be lock-step with the remote replication and the VM may not replicate safely/entirely.

Thanks all.

Bill
5mall5nail5
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: None

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:15 am

You can backup and replicate already replicated VMs. This approach has some limitations, however (check this thread for additional information).

Since you're in need to migrate production VMs, wouldn't it be easier to backup them to removable drive, send device to a given location, and restore VMs afterwards? This way you would avoid unnecessary intermediate steps (shipping new ESXi host, setting it up, replicating VMs to it, etc.)

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby 5mall5nail5 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:11 pm

That would be more convenient except I am not provided room for down time as these are highly utilized production machines and there's about 7TB to deal with. So moving it to external storage, shipping it 500 miles, and moving it from external storage may all be too time consuming.

I understand that I can backup already replicated VMs, but can I replicate a replicated VM? I am concerned that the source Veeam process is pushing the VM to the intermediate host (already deployed) while the intermediate host is pushing the VM to the destination there's potential there for locked file issues/out-of-sync states, etc. since Veeam is not a constant replication.
5mall5nail5
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: None

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere