Backup the replicated VMs

VMware specific discussions

[MERGED] Veeam Backup of Veeam Replication VMs

Veeam Logoby RH832 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Is there any problems with taking a Veeam replication and use Veeam Backup to backup the VM_replica? I am not sure if Veeam does anything with the replica that would cause a problem backing up by Veeam or vice versa.
RH832
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Rick

Re: Backup the replicated VMs

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:20 pm

Never done it, but basically the Replica in v6 is a full VM, with some snapshots on it (those are the restore points).
I would say it could work, only be sure the replica job is not running while you backup that VM.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1330 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby RH832 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:53 pm

I created a job with CBT disabled as per other posts and it seems to work. Replication didn't complain either afterwards.
RH832
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Rick

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Please note that with v6, you do not need to disable CBT any more, because the restore points are created and stored differently.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby trafsta » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:48 pm

Having read this thread fully, I am a bit confused what is recommended to be done under v6 (which we are currently evaluating). I am currently backing up to an offsite Veeam B&R DR server and have that backup job set to start a replication job to the same DR server (which is a Hyper-V server as well). This works well, but is there a better way than having to run the backup and then replication separately (which in turn hits the production source servers twice). What is recommended now with v6? For us the offsite Veeam server is across a gigabit link but we want to also in the near future try backing up and replicating across a 10mbit link in another city for extra protection, so I do not want to hit the production source servers 3 times if possible (still need to look into rsync as an option to possibly assist with all this...). Any insight would be appreciated.
trafsta
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:06 pm

If you need to have both remote backups and remote replicas of your VMs and do not want to put excessive load on your production, you could backup previously replicated VMs as described above in this topic. Just be aware of possible issues with CBT.

To replicate your backup files offsite for extra protection, you could consider using some file synchronization software (rsync is just one of them but seems to be the most commonly used one). Common solution among our customers.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1080 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby pcrebe » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi Gostev,

Gostev wrote:Please note that with v6, you do not need to disable CBT any more, because the restore points are created and stored differently.

Sorry but on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:41 pm

Gostev wrote:AFAIK CBT is generally not supported on powered off VMs (known VMware limitation). Although sometimes it works, generally it is not supported.

So now for a v6 backup of a VM_replica may i enable or disable CBT? The VM is powered off but the job is set up for continue also in case of powered on VM_replica in case of HQ disaster.

It would be helpful if the best practice was added to the FAQ

Tanks,
Carlo
pcrebe
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

Veeam Logoby trafsta » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Hmmm, yeah, I am still confused as to what to do in v6. I backup and then replicate to an offsite DR Veeam server (gigabit connection)... this hits the production servers twice (this is in a Hyper-V environment, not VMWare). Is there a better way to give me both a Hyper-V replica on the offsite DR Veeam server (which is also a Hyper-V server) AND backup files (which I'll be backing up to take twice a month with Backup Exec)? Keep in mind I only have the one server in the DR site so that is why I have Hyper-V, Veeam, and Backup Exec all on the one server... looking to get about 4 or 5 VMs replicated to it and in easily-bootable state in the case of a disaster, but also to have the nice backup files that I can send to tape once a month... currently I hit the production server twice to achieve this (after the backup job completes it triggers the replication job). I'm guess there isn't a better way to do this?
trafsta
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi guys,

pcrebe wrote:So now for a v6 backup of a VM_replica may i enable or disable CBT? The VM is powered off but the job is set up for continue also in case of powered on VM_replica in case of HQ disaster.

Based on our recent tests, looks like VMware has been able to fix that with their latest release, so CBT might actually work, however further research is still required.

trafsta wrote:I backup and then replicate to an offsite DR Veeam server (gigabit connection)... this hits the production servers twice (this is in a Hyper-V environment, not VMWare).

This possible CBT limitation does not relate to Hyper-V environments, since we use our own proprietary changed block tracking mechanism. With Hyper-V you can safely backup replicated VMs with CBT enabled.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:08 am

pcrebe wrote:So now for a v6 backup of a VM_replica may i enable or disable CBT?

Yes, you should keep CBT enabled. If CBT does not work for any reason, it will not cause any issues (just slower backup).
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby captainflannel » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:47 am

So the recommended procedure for such a solution would be

Replicate Production VMs to DR Servers with CBT Enabled
Backup the Replicated VMs with CBT Enabled

Also incorporating windows to allow for VMs to Finish Backup and Disable replication during backup windows.
?
captainflannel
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times

Veeam Logoby captainflannel » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:08 am

In VMWare environment, per my question. Not sure if Hyper-V would require different scenario.
Thanks.
captainflannel
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:57 am 1 person likes this post

captainflannel wrote:So the recommended procedure for such a solution would be

Replicate Production VMs to DR Servers with CBT Enabled
Backup the Replicated VMs with CBT Enabled

Correct.

captainflannel wrote:Also incorporating windows to allow for VMs to Finish Backup and Disable replication during backup windows.
?

If both jobs are configured on the same backup server, you can trigger the backup job as a post-job activity of a replication job, to perform that.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby captainflannel » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:11 am

In a scenario where we are replicating to a second site, and then running backups of the replica VMs and then running a UAIR Exchange Restore, would we need to redirect the restore to the actual production server? or will UAIR just be looking for the FQDN of the original host/mailbox server? I have yet to try here wondering if anyone knew.
thanks.
captainflannel
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:46 am

Better to check, but I believe that if you specify the production server address in the Exchange AIR Wizard, it should be able to locate the corresponding replica VM in backups to perform the restore from.
foggy
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere