Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup the replicated VMs

Post by veremin »

For other issue related to CBT
Actually, there are two existing topics regarding the issues you experience; might be worth reviewing:

Cannot use CBT
OIB already exists in point

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
kamalkant
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: kamalkant singhal

Post by kamalkant »

thanks v. ...I have been gone through above both of the above links, my issue is "OIB already exists in point" ... this links talk about some custom patch from Veeam , I ma not sure if I need that.
as I have already worked out on all other recommendation. so i am going to open a case
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

So I am going to open a case.
This is probably the best way to address technical issue.

Furthermore, kindly update the corresponding topic with a found solution for the convenience of further readers.

Thanks.
rmessier1975
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Keeney Manufacturing

[MERGED] Backup of Replicas?

Post by rmessier1975 »

I have 3 hosts ... One with live production servers, one that has replicas and some live servers, and a test environment. IS it NOT good practice to backup the entire host if replicas reside on it? I mean, if you are already backing up the live server, why backup the replica? Or can Veeam Backup even backup replicas?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Keeney,

Veeam can backup replica VMs, no issues with that. Please see this thread for more details on this process. Using VM containers such as folders, datastores, hosts is actually a recommended way of backing up your infrastructure. However if you want to exclude replica VMs from the backup job, then this is also possible via Exclude options of the backup job settings.

Thank you!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Keeney.

However, please be aware that it won’t be possible in this case to utilize CBT and it’s a Veeam built-in mechanism that will be used, instead. So, the jobs are likely to take more time to finish.

Thanks.
tfloor
Veteran
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Tristan Floor

Post by tfloor »

How about the initial question for v7

If you need backup and replica jobs on the DR site.
Do we need 1 copy job to DR, and 1 replica job to DR

Or choosing to backup the replica vm's. Is this working the same as on the primary site.
Creating a backup Job with the vm selection from the DR esxi hosts, and give the offsite storage as destination?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Tristan,
tfloor wrote:If you need backup and replica jobs on the DR site.
Do we need 1 copy job to DR, and 1 replica job to DR
Yes, if you want to have offsite backups and VM replicas, then you should have 1 backup copy job and 1 replication job.
tfloor wrote:Or choosing to backup the replica vm's. Is this working the same as on the primary site.
Creating a backup Job with the vm selection from the DR esxi hosts, and give the offsite storage as destination?
Nothing has changed in regards to backing up VM replicas - CBT option will be disabled.

Thanks!
cmdrriker
Enthusiast
Full Name: Will Smith

[MERGED] replica backup questions

Post by cmdrriker »

two questions:

1. can a replica safely be backed up?

2. will the replica backup include all of the replica restore points?

we will need to recover soon from a cryptolocker infection and I am trying to retain all of the restore points in case the infection comes back after a replica failover and failback is done.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: [MERGED] replica backup questions

Post by foggy »

Will, please review this topic for considerations regarding backing up replica VMs.
cmdrriker wrote:2. will the replica backup include all of the replica restore points?
No, since existing snapshots get consolidated into a single flat file during backup job.
cmdrriker
Enthusiast
Full Name: Will Smith

Post by cmdrriker »

Foggy,

If the restore points of a backed up replica are consolidated, which version is preserved? The last (most current) one?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, the current state of the replica VM is backed up.
EddyChong
Enthusiast
Full Name: Eddy Chong

Post by EddyChong »

Hi Foggy,

I named replicated VM as "replica" and replicated replica as "replica_replica"
And I assume the restore point snapshots consolidation applies to replication job as well. Please correct me if i am wrong.

If restore point snapshots of a replica is being consolidated during the replication/backup job, that means the replica's restore points will disappear and only most current state available? Or it simply means the replica's snapshots is preserved but the replica_replica will have the most current state of the replica.

Thanks
Eddy
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

The second replica job only sees the actual state of that VM, ignoring its previous snapshots.
The several snapshots of each replica and their retention is managed independently but the two corresponding jobs, and removing a restore point from the first replica will have no impact on the second replica.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

EddyChong wrote:Or it simply means the replica's snapshots is preserved but the replica_replica will have the most current state of the replica.
This one.
EddyChong
Enthusiast
Full Name: Eddy Chong

Post by EddyChong »

Thanks Luca and foggy.

Eddy
gavinmclean
Lurker
Full Name: Gavin McLean

[MERGED] Backup Veeam Replicas

Post by gavinmclean »

Hi All,

I know this question has been asked before... http://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere- ... 03-15.html, however, is it possible to backup replicated VMs with CBT enabled (using Veeam v7)?

Currently we have VMs in a hosted DC, being replicated with Veeam to our DR site (what was originally production), which is working really well. We'd like to backup the replicated VMs for the purposes of long-term retention, and we've got the backup jobs configured, unfortunately, CBT doesn't appear to work the backup jobs, which means they are taking far too long (they aren't even close to finishing before the next set of replication jobs start - replication jobs run daily). Long term, we will also have backup storage in our hosted environment, but this would be (very) short term retention only. I am aware that we could backup the source VM to the backup server in the DR environment, however I'd like to avoid shoving what is effectively the same data through our link twice, given that we already have a limited link. It would also mean, once we've got the short term retention backups working, our production VMs would be getting hit 3 times...

So far I have tried removing the snapshots on the replicated VMs (we only have 1 per VM), resetting CBT, and running a backup job on the replicated VM (twice), which indicated that CBT was working. However, after running the replication again, and subsequently the backup job - CBT is again not working :(

I have read this should work, particularly given that Veeam v6 (and presumably v7) replicate the VMs differently to previous versions of Veeam. I have also read that there can be issues with CBT on powered off VMs. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

Cheers,
Gavin
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Gavin, actually, nothing has changed since this reply from Vitaliy - CBT is still cannot be used when backing up replica VMs.

What could probably make you feel slightly better is that we're planing to add "replica from backup files" functionality down the road. This will allow to avoid pushing the same data over the slow link twice, as well as hitting production VMs twice.
kevin.mcdonnell
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kevin McDonnell

[MERGED] VBR 7 - Backup of replicated VM's

Post by kevin.mcdonnell »

When attempting to backup a VM replicated by VBR7 I noticed an error that "VMware CBT could not be enabled due to an existing snapshot".

When a VM is replicated VBR sets snapshots to give the ability to recover previous versions - the minimum being just 1.

Even if the source VM has CBT enabled, VBR does not replicate this setting to the target.

It is not possible to enable CBT with a snapshot in place and any attempt to modify the VM "under the covers" results in VBR doing a full sync and overwriting the changes.

The result of all this is that any backups of the replicated VM can not take advantage of CBT.

Has anyone else seen this or have a work-around.

Cheers,

Kev
Kevin McDonnell
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Kevin, this is actually an expected behavior, please review the thread for details. Also, please be aware that the just released v8 has the remote replica from backup functionality that allows to have both remote backup and replica of the same VM without the need to transfer the same data twice. Thanks.
romwarrior
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Brett

Post by romwarrior »

So in v8 what are the ramifications of backing up a replicated VM for an offsite backup copy? Is it only that CBT can't be enabled? I know the preferred way is backup copy first but I have one VM that the backup copy did not succeed while the replication did.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Actually, in v8 there are no changes in how replicated VMs are backed up (CBT can't be used due to VMware limitation). Alexander was referring to a possibility to use backup files as source for replication jobs. Thanks!
severson_bnc
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Seth Everson

Post by severson_bnc » 2 people like this post

Just wanted to chime in since it's been awhile for this thread.

I have successfully setup an ongoing Backup from Replica configuration using CBT on VMware ESXi 5.5 and Veeam 8. CBT remains enabled in the job logs, and the performance is there when backing up from the replicas. I set my replica's to only have a single restore point at the moment, so I cannot vouch for a setup that has more than that per replica.

Hope this helps someone, this thread was the top forum hit for backing up from replicas.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Was it a first job run or an incremental pass? What do processed and read counters show?
severson_bnc
Novice

Post by severson_bnc »

Incremental jobs have maintained the CBT in the logs. Processed and read counters show the transferred data to be at a significant savings. Here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/nzLu2Er.png.

I've had some speed issues as the replication and backup jobs interfere with each other. The window is approximately 40 minutes, so I'm now setting it up so that runs every other hour, instead of hourly.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

From the statistics on your screenshot, it does not look like CBT is being leveraged. Can you select any VM to the left for per-VM statistics?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

severson_bnc wrote:Processed and read counters show the transferred data to be at a significant savings.
These counters will always be larger than transferred value, in the full and without change block tracking runs.
severson_bnc
Novice

Post by severson_bnc »

I'm still working out some kinks in this environment- for example, some VMs were using network backup mode due to the lack of a proxy. I'll have that taken care of in a few days.

Any logs in particular that I could pull that would give you guys a more direct answer if CBT is working or not?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please select one of the VMs in the list on the left on your screenshot and look for the [CBT] tag in the hard disk processing line.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Please note that you will [CBT] tag only on the first full job run, all subsequent runs should report as CBT disabled.