Eddy
EddyChong
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Eddy Chong

[MERGED] Backup Veeam Replicas

Veeam Logoby gavinmclean » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:06 am

Hi All,

I know this question has been asked before... vmware-vsphere-f24/backup-the-replicated-vms-t3703-15.html, however, is it possible to backup replicated VMs with CBT enabled (using Veeam v7)?

Currently we have VMs in a hosted DC, being replicated with Veeam to our DR site (what was originally production), which is working really well. We'd like to backup the replicated VMs for the purposes of long-term retention, and we've got the backup jobs configured, unfortunately, CBT doesn't appear to work the backup jobs, which means they are taking far too long (they aren't even close to finishing before the next set of replication jobs start - replication jobs run daily). Long term, we will also have backup storage in our hosted environment, but this would be (very) short term retention only. I am aware that we could backup the source VM to the backup server in the DR environment, however I'd like to avoid shoving what is effectively the same data through our link twice, given that we already have a limited link. It would also mean, once we've got the short term retention backups working, our production VMs would be getting hit 3 times...

So far I have tried removing the snapshots on the replicated VMs (we only have 1 per VM), resetting CBT, and running a backup job on the replicated VM (twice), which indicated that CBT was working. However, after running the replication again, and subsequently the backup job - CBT is again not working :(

I have read this should work, particularly given that Veeam v6 (and presumably v7) replicate the VMs differently to previous versions of Veeam. I have also read that there can be issues with CBT on powered off VMs. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

Cheers,
Gavin
gavinmclean
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Gavin McLean

Re: Backup the replicated VMs

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:56 am

Gavin, actually, nothing has changed since this reply from Vitaliy - CBT is still cannot be used when backing up replica VMs.

What could probably make you feel slightly better is that we're planing to add "replica from backup files" functionality down the road. This will allow to avoid pushing the same data over the slow link twice, as well as hitting production VMs twice.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1080 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] VBR 7 - Backup of replicated VM's

Veeam Logoby kevin.mcdonnell » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:15 am

When attempting to backup a VM replicated by VBR7 I noticed an error that "VMware CBT could not be enabled due to an existing snapshot".

When a VM is replicated VBR sets snapshots to give the ability to recover previous versions - the minimum being just 1.

Even if the source VM has CBT enabled, VBR does not replicate this setting to the target.

It is not possible to enable CBT with a snapshot in place and any attempt to modify the VM "under the covers" results in VBR doing a full sync and overwriting the changes.

The result of all this is that any backups of the replicated VM can not take advantage of CBT.

Has anyone else seen this or have a work-around.

Cheers,

Kev
kevin.mcdonnell
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kevin McDonnell

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:23 am

Kevin, this is actually an expected behavior, please review the thread for details. Also, please be aware that the just released v8 has the remote replica from backup functionality that allows to have both remote backup and replica of the same VM without the need to transfer the same data twice. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby romwarrior » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:33 pm

So in v8 what are the ramifications of backing up a replicated VM for an offsite backup copy? Is it only that CBT can't be enabled? I know the preferred way is backup copy first but I have one VM that the backup copy did not succeed while the replication did.
romwarrior
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Brett

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:32 pm

Actually, in v8 there are no changes in how replicated VMs are backed up (CBT can't be used due to VMware limitation). Alexander was referring to a possibility to use backup files as source for replication jobs. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby severson_bnc » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:13 am 2 people like this post

Just wanted to chime in since it's been awhile for this thread.

I have successfully setup an ongoing Backup from Replica configuration using CBT on VMware ESXi 5.5 and Veeam 8. CBT remains enabled in the job logs, and the performance is there when backing up from the replicas. I set my replica's to only have a single restore point at the moment, so I cannot vouch for a setup that has more than that per replica.

Hope this helps someone, this thread was the top forum hit for backing up from replicas.
severson_bnc
Novice

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Seth Everson

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:26 pm

Was it a first job run or an incremental pass? What do processed and read counters show?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby severson_bnc » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:56 am

Incremental jobs have maintained the CBT in the logs. Processed and read counters show the transferred data to be at a significant savings. Here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/nzLu2Er.png.

I've had some speed issues as the replication and backup jobs interfere with each other. The window is approximately 40 minutes, so I'm now setting it up so that runs every other hour, instead of hourly.
severson_bnc
Novice

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:28 pm

From the statistics on your screenshot, it does not look like CBT is being leveraged. Can you select any VM to the left for per-VM statistics?
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:59 pm

severson_bnc wrote:Processed and read counters show the transferred data to be at a significant savings.

These counters will always be larger than transferred value, in the full and without change block tracking runs.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby severson_bnc » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:32 am

I'm still working out some kinks in this environment- for example, some VMs were using network backup mode due to the lack of a proxy. I'll have that taken care of in a few days.

Any logs in particular that I could pull that would give you guys a more direct answer if CBT is working or not?
severson_bnc
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:50 am

Please select one of the VMs in the list on the left on your screenshot and look for the [CBT] tag in the hard disk processing line.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:52 am 1 person likes this post

Please note that you will [CBT] tag only on the first full job run, all subsequent runs should report as CBT disabled.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere