Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
andreas2012
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Andreas

Backup vCenter and PSC

Post by andreas2012 »

Hi,

Any document regarding best practice when it comes to backup vCenter and PSC.
I have looked at the document https://www.veeam.com/wp-vmware-vcenter ... store.html but guess its old since some of the links inside the appendix doesnt work.

What I am mainly wondering about is should I enable application aware processing or vmware tools quiescene or none of them ?

Thanks for reply.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backup vCenter and PSC

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Andreas,

Basically, the core principles and scenarios presented in this document should be still actual.

You may also refer to this KB: AAIP, indexing and quiescence must be disabled in case of embedded database and the database itself can be backed up by native tools, for example like one of the methods described in this VMware KB article. In case of external database, you may create a dedicated backup of the database server.

This page might be also helpful.

Thanks!
oliverL
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Oliver

Re: Backup vCenter and PSC

Post by oliverL »

Since VM Backups aren't supported with vSphere 7 you might/should start creating backups over the vCenter/PSC VAMI Website. There you can also schedule backups and with that backup you can deploy a fresh vCenter from the install-iso.

Use the default repository of your Veeam server as a CIFS Target and then use a Veeam file copy Job to move that backup somewhere else.