Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ajped
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Antonio

Backup VM File Server

Post by ajped »

Hello,
I need to backup a virtual machine (Windows File Server). This server has several virtual disks. I need to establish a different job backup configuration (Retention policy, Full synthetic Backup, Full Active Backup, etc.) for each volume because of the type of information that they storage.
I suppose I need to create a different job for each volume but I wonder what would be the best option between using the Windows Backup Agent or the VMware Backup with disk exclussion (I willl create a different backup job per virtual disk).

Thank you!!!
ajped
Influencer

Re: Backup VM File Server

Post by ajped »

Hello,
I want to add that the disks of this virtual machine are RDM (Raw Device Mapping) with Virtual Compatibility. It is Changed Block Tracking supporting with this virtual disks? If I defined a different backup job per virtual disk, Would Veeam use Changed Block Tracking?

Thank you!!!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It is Changed Block Tracking supporting with this virtual disks?

Yes, CBT will work.
f I defined a different backup job per virtual disk, Would Veeam use Changed Block Tracking?
Yes, CBT will work.

But the main question is why not to back up VM within a single backup job?

Thanks!
ajped
Influencer

Post by ajped »

Hello Vladimir,
Thank you for your answer. I don't want to backup the full VM in a single backup job because I would like to apply different backup settings per virtual machine disk. Guess that I have a 20 TB VM and there are several virtual disks in this VM. I want to storage all virtual disks in my backup disk repository but only some of them in the tapes. Or I have only a virtual disk in this VM that I want to archive forever in a tape but, there are another volumes in the same VM that I want to backup in tape and set recovery points only for a month. Or in the VM, there are virtual disks that I want to index but there are others that there is no need to index. I know If I backup the full VM is easier to recover in case of failure but I don't know how to accomplish all the previous examples if I use only a backup job.

Thank you!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

If this configuration is dictated by your needs and you are fully aware of the complications it brings to the restore process, sure, you can use it; was just thinking about potentially easier approaches. Thanks!
ajped
Influencer

Post by ajped »

Hello Vladimir,
Thank you for your help. You are right, the easier the better. I'm worried about wasting disk space or backup tapes innecesary.
I would like to ask you: Could I define a backup task for all the VM (this backup keep in my disk resository for x restore points for easy full VM recovery) and apart from that to have tasks for the disk that I want to archive forever in tapes too or to integrate with the index feature?
Do this backups (Full VM and Disk VM Backup) interfere among them (for example, related to the Changed Block Tracking)?
Thank you!!!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You can create as many job as you would like too (be it backup or tape jobs), jobs won't interfere with each other. Thanks!