Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
crackocain
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Mehmet Istanbullu

BackupCopy with Reflink&Blockclone

Post by crackocain »

Hello everyone.

I want to ask question about Cloud Connect backup copy with blockclone operation.

Customer have XFS immutable repository and enabled reflink. Customer backup job forward incremental and enabled synthetic full.

Cloud connect infrastructure repository have ReFS repository enabled blockclone.

Customer use backup copy to cloud connect so they want to minimize the WAN traffic. Especially for days with full syntetic backup.

So my question is Cloud connect infrastructure repository changed to XFS reflink might have reduce the WAN traffic? Or totally useless? How can we use blockclone/reflink with backup copy jobs to cloud connect backup copy?

We can't use direct backup job because of WAN speed.

Thank you.
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 104 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Re: BackupCopy with Reflink&Blockclone

Post by karsten123 »

For backup copy, the only possibility is to use WAN accelerator. IMHO
crackocain
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Mehmet Istanbullu

Post by crackocain »

Hello

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

This FastClone document says "In backup copy jobs: to merge backup files, create GFS backups (synthetic method) and compact full backup files."

For my perspective backup copy jobs use FastClone but only full backup has triggered by BackupCopy job.

When Backup Jobs create the full backup, FastClone is not used by BackupCopy Job. (for example select GFS)

I think this feature has to detect and compare backup job full backups and backup copied full backups and use blockclone for lower WAN or LAN network usage.

Maybe it's detecting it, but does anyone know anything about it?
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 104 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Post by karsten123 »

as i said before, fast-clone do not reduce needed bandwidth. you have to go with job settings like inline dedup, compression, etc. and to max that out you have to use WAN accelerator.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2430 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hello Mehmet

Karsten is right.
Your customer is already doing synthetic fulls. With synthentic full you on only have an initial transfer of all data. For subsequent synthetic full backups, the customer backup server will only transfer changed data (incremental) to the VCC server. The VCC server then builds a new full backup file from the transferred data and existing restore points on the VCC repository.
And you already have reFS on the VCC server, which also supports FastClone. Migrating to XFS won't bring you any benefit from a storage perspective.

To reduce transferred data, WAN Accelerator is the feature you should look at.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software