Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Ve2Luk

Best backup approach - VM File Server

Post by Ve2Luk »

Hello,
I'd like to ask you guys to get some aid in the performance matter.

We have 8 TB VM which is File Server, I know that not the best approach, but it's there already.

We are wondering what solution would be better:
1) backup entire VM with hot-add. How would then i.e. file level restore behave, assuming that we got a lot of files there? Should we expect any performance issues or consider adding some more space for Veeam server cache etc.?
2) backup VM OS disk only and protect the files with Veeam agent for Windows. Would it benefit us somehow?

Considering your experience and Veeam best practices, which solution would be better?
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 131 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Re: Best backup approach - VM File Server

Post by ronnmartin61 »

Have you considered simply using our NAS backup capability - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110?
Origin 2000
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times

Post by Origin 2000 »

A 8TB Fileserver isnt that "big" ;) A file level restore is one of the standard restore options and for sure also available when you backup your File server VM as long as you meet the requirements like same or higher version for your Veeam(mount server) as your Fileserver OS and if you using Windows Dedup whithin the VM you must install the dedup role on your veeam server as well(dont need for acitivating that feature).

So just try it and when it fits within your backup window than use it as every other VM backup.

Regards,
Joerg
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Post by rennerstefan »

Hi,

depending on what your additional needs are (for example additional tape out) there are three ways:
- VBR agent less backup (optional with indexing)
- veeam agent backup
- NAS Backup
Based on what i understand from your request VBR backup should be fine for what you need. I don’t see any issue using it. There is more of a benefit as with VBR it is a image based backup which allows you to run very fast backups, also from a storage snapshot of needed.
I would not split OS and data as this is not needed in my eyes.

Let us know on any further questions.
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
Ve2Luk

Post by Ve2Luk » 1 person likes this post

Thank you all for the answers. I was using another known backup solution before, where everything has is pros and cons.

I will test VM backup at be beginning and see how it goes. Thank you.