Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sergeadam
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Serge Adam

Best configuration...

Post by sergeadam »

I currently have 2 sites running clusters of ESXi 5 Standard. All Dell R710. Connecting to EQL PS4000 and/or MD3200i for VM datastore. In each site one of the R710 has a SAS attached MD1200 as a backup target.

Currently, I have VEEAM B&R 6 Enterprise in a VM at each site, one is the master and it's own proxy, the other just a proxy. The MD1200s are formatted as a large LUN (one is 15TB, the other 50TB). Formatted VMFS and presented to the VM as a series of 1.9TB disks, arranged as a spanned dynamic disk in the VEEAM VM. Works great for backups. Not sure about recovery.

I'm about to add to locations, similar configs.

I'm thinking about doing the following:
Use an old Dell SC1435 or a PE2050 as the Enterprise server. Have a VM at each location to act as a proxy and present the MD1200 as NTFS formatted RDMs.

Would it make recovery easier, in the event of loss of the Vm Host whare the MD1200 is connected, hence where the VEEAM proxy is running.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Best configuration...

Post by dellock6 »

Avoiding multiple layers on the disks in terms of filesystems is always a good choice. In your first two sites seems to me there are too many components that can fail, I would personally reduce that complexity and do as you are thinking about the new one; formatting the storage directly with NTFS is a good move, and I would also install Windows 2008 R2 in the server, and the Veeam Repository role over it.
K.I.S.S. methodology is always the way to go ;)
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
sergeadam
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Serge Adam

Re: Best configuration...

Post by sergeadam »

Well the storage is connected to a ESX host. Best possible is RDM to a Win2008R2 VM as a proxy.