Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
C.Lugmayr
Novice
Liked: never

Best Practice Veeam B&R 6.5 + vCenter

Post by C.Lugmayr »

Hello all,

is there any recommendation for backups from VMs on ESXi 5.1 Hosts using vCenter?
Currently i have one backup server, and in the last week my backups took ages to complete.
So i had the idea to create a backup proxy, but how is is the best way to configured, i read something about giving the proxy and the backup server direct access to the
LUN which are presented to the ESXi host?

I hope someone can help :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Best Practice Veeam B&R 6.5 + vCenter

Post by foggy »

C.Lugmayr wrote: is there any recommendation for backups from VMs on ESXi 5.1 Hosts using vCenter?
Currently i have one backup server, and in the last week my backups took ages to complete.
Could you please tell us a bit about your environment: what is your primary storage, how the jobs are configured, whether your Veeam B&R is virtual or physical? What are the bottleneck stats for your jobs? This will help to answer your questions.
C.Lugmayr wrote:So i had the idea to create a backup proxy, but how is is the best way to configured, i read something about giving the proxy and the backup server direct access to the LUN which are presented to the ESXi host?
Have you reviewed the corresponding sticky FAQ section already? Should give you some hints where to start.
C.Lugmayr
Novice
Liked: never

Post by C.Lugmayr »

Ok here are some informations, i'm using an EMC² VNXe 3300 as primary storage, it is attached via iSCSI Multipath to the Hosts,
the backups are stored on an QNAP TS-1269U-RP, the backup server is running virtual has 8GB RAM and 8 Cores, the backupserver has an iSCSi LUN directly connected over
Windows.

Job:
Reversed incremental, inline data deduplication enabled, CBT data enabled,
application aware-image processing and guestfile indexing enabled.

I've read the FAQ about Direct SAN Access,
am i right that the backup server should have the iSCSI LUN connected which are used on the ESXi host?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, if you are seeing VMFS volumes in the Windows Disk Management snap-in on the proxy server (backup server, if default proxy is used), then Direct SAN mode can be used. However, since your Veeam B&R server is virtual and is located on the same host, you can use hotadd mode which is comparable to Direct SAN in terms of performance. You can see what transport mode is effectively used during VMs processing in the job statistics window, by clicking the particular VM to the left and locating the transport mode tag next to the selected proxy server name ([san], [hotadd], or [nbd]).

You haven't specified processing rate and bottleneck stats for your jobs (available in the same job statistics window) however, since you are using reverse incremental mode and QNAP storage for your backups, I would guess that in your case target is the bottleneck. There are a lot of existing threads regarding reverse incremental mode speed on this kind of NAS devices, probably here is one of the most detailed ones.