Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mcomez
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mehmet

Bottleneck Source (But maked all veeam optimizations)

Post by mcomez »

Hi,

I have 5 servers 2 x R710 - 3 x Dl380 Gen8, every server connecting to iscsi storage with 4 nic per server. My iscsi storage is Dell MD3600i 10g.
I connected all server with two Dell 6224. Switches are configured iscsi optimized by using dell documents. Switches are connected by stack cable (20g) MD3600i connected to 10 base-t ports. MD3600 12x2TB disks and configured raid6.
ESX version 5.5 and configured iscsi from vmware documents.
iSCSI network and local network are phyiscally different networks. (Dİfferent switches)

Veeam backup configuration is using direct san access with two veeam proxy. I used 2008 r2 for proxies.

I take backups to QNAP with 4gbit link agg.

I want to explain that, I left my job for last 3 weeks to make performance to our backup infrastructure. I read and applied all documents from veeam, vmware, dell and hp. I reinstalled esx server with dell and hp customized isos. I think that I read all comments, forum posts, documents everything an everything on internet :) Think that 3 weeks, everyday 16 hours. :D

Problems started with, I buy 3 dl380 and configured esx, and connected to iscsi and network. Before this, my backup processing rate 280mb, transfer speed 408mb, and I wasn't used proxy servers for taking backup.
I shutdown new servers and performance growing up, but if new servers are up, processing rate and transfer speed very slow.
and problem is source bottleneck, for example now, running one job, processing rate 62 mb, transfer speed 109 mb. And a think, backup mode is incremental, this is not problem, reversed incremantal performance is same.

I don't know what must I do :S I make a dream config/hw etc. but now my brain is locked and failed :S
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Bottleneck Source (But maked all veeam optimizations)

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Mehmet,

Do you see the same bottleneck stats with new servers powered on and not? What about backups taken from that servers? Are they also slow?

Thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Bottleneck Source (But maked all veeam optimizations)

Post by foggy »

Would be great if you could compare the following with new servers on and off:
- full bottleneck stats for backup jobs backing up VMs from old and new hosts (in case they are on)
- proxy servers selected for backups
- transport mode used by proxy servers

Do you observe the slowdown both on full and incremental job passes? Also, where is Veeam B&R installed as well as two proxy servers? Are all of them virtual?