Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
gerdawg
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Gerry D

Can’t boot from restore to disk. Instant recovery works.

Post by gerdawg »

I’m having an issue which is causing us some concern about Veeam and restoration of services in a major disaster.

Running VMware v7 and Veeam v11 (latest build). Our backend storage is NetApp. I’ve placed a few tickets in for the case and never seem to get anywhere with support. We tend to go back and forth email after email looking for more logs rather than someone setting up a session to see the issue.

What’s happening is when we restore a server from backup —> Infrastructure back to the disk, without using instant recovery, after the restoration is complete the server will not boot. It’s almost as if the MBR is destroyed or missing. If I run an instant recovery through Veeam the server boots off of the Veeam server NFS and then I can do a storage migration back to the NetApp NFS data store.

It is not one specific VM that has had this issue, it so far has occurred on Windows 2019, 2022 and 2016.

The major concern is in a disaster I’m not going to be able to restore our entire infrastructure back to the NFS and have everything work and I don’t think most of our servers will run off of Instant Recovery from he Veeam NFS storage. A few VM’s are fine but a bunch of them running through instant recovery will be a problem.

Has anyone seen this issue and can advise what is wrong and why a direct restore from disk to NFS is failing to boot the VM?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Can’t boot from restore to disk. Instant recovery works.

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Gerry,

Please share the case ID(s) so we can check for details.

/Thanks!
gerdawg
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Gerry D

Re: Can’t boot from restore to disk. Instant recovery works.

Post by gerdawg »

05911691 and 02900905

Thanks!