Can't get SureBackup SQL test to not fail

VMware specific discussions

Re: Can't get SureBackup SQL test to not fail

Veeam Logoby dyna » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:33 pm

Same issues here.

Only way i got it to work is by using SQL auth without enumeration (by specifing the instance name)

I was trying to get to the the bottom of it but frankly jus gave up.

How is the enumeration suppost to work? Is sudo/runas being used for this else i can't see how it should work.

It looks like custom domain login just isn't possible. You either specifiy credentials and use SQL login, or you use domain login and it will use the the credentials from the current user.

When i'm logged in as admin and try to run the script it works fine without credentials (using my current admin user credentials), but when i manually specifiy the same admin credentials it fails and the error on the sql server will be "Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\adminuser'. Reason: Could not find a login matching the name provided." because it is looking for an SQL login user with that name.

However to be able to use SC for enumration, the user must be member of the local admin group. But an SQL user can't be part of a local system group.

So the only reason i could see this work if it's runs sudo'ed as the credential user and then don't pass credentials on the sql connecting. However that was my starting position and couldn't get that too work, maybe because of the virtual lab seperated network and not being able to connect a DC?
dyna
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby dyna » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:25 pm

I guess running the veeam service(s) as domain user and giving this user local admin on the sql server should work as well, this is probably how other people got it running. However that's means 0 flexibility because it always has to use that account for domain logins, and would make the credentials per VM option only work for sql logins.

The other option is SQL auth with no enumeration, to clarify: %log_path% %vm_ip%\mssqlserver sqluser password
dyna
Novice

Veeam Logoby dyna » Tue May 02, 2017 2:14 pm

Small update. I was banging my head against this again and then i found out that enumeration with sql credentials can work but only if an admin is logged in, which threw me off in tests at first.

As in:
-SB boots a VM to logon screen, enumeration fails
-Log out of the VM, enumeration fails again

I think it's just impossible to actually enumerate during the SB process (unless it auto logs in maybe) without changing the service users (either sql or veeam).

Anyway this whole process NEEDS to be looked at as it's really very amateuristic and imo definitely not Veeam worthy. You are probably better off removing to not throw off new users. (The current few who did got it working won't like that tho). Better drop it from the UI and make some other custom hooking option or something.
dyna
Novice

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere