Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
JosueM
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Josue Maldonado

Case # 01067403 retention not delete restore points.

Post by JosueM »

Good day everyone.

WE are trying to understand how retention policy work, we setup a backup job incremental with retention policy set to 3 restore points but after running the job multiple time (12 times) it keeps all the restore points and does not delete any restore point. also the job is set to run full backups the day the job was running.

Any idea what could be the cause of not deleting the restore point.

Thanks in advance.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6633 times

Re: Case # 01067403 retention not delete restore points.

Post by Gostev »

With "classic" incremental backup, due to incremental restore points being dependent on the corresponding full backups, older restore point can only be deleted once new full backup is created, and the oldest incremental backup of the previous full backup chain falls out of retention policy.

How many full backups (VBK files) do you have on disk?

I am guessing that since full backup was already created on the selected day (as a part of the very first job run), the next full backup will only be created in 1 week from now, according to your full backup schedule.
JosueM
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Josue Maldonado

Post by JosueM »

thanks for reply Gostev,

So you mean, using incremental retention policy is not based per restore point setting but per full backup done in the entire chain?

In fact I did set the full backup setting to run every day and the result is the same it seems veeam does not consider restore point retentention settings until it sees there is another full backup and it looks like veeam does not like to do 2 full backups on the same day.

those are my conclusions so far but I just wanna be sure is like that, if that is the case and is not clear in the help I believe that excerpt note should be added to the product documentation to avoid misunderstandings
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Josue, please review the explanation of how retention for forward incremental mode works given in this KB. And yes, full backup is created only once per day, during the first job run, unless you implicitly use the Active Full command on the jobs shortcut menu.