Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Dream_On
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Vladimir Popov

Case #05266955 - SAN proxy gets disconnected

Post by Dream_On »

Hi All,
I have raised a call with support, but it is on evaluation license, so I do not expect it to be answered any time soon. Perhaps someone else had experienced the same problem.
I have setup a test environment, where I can do some test backups and restores and see how SOBR work with S3 backets and Glacier. Everything goes OK, except minor issues, and this is one of them.
I have converted one ESXi host to a SAN proxy, as it is already connected to all LUN's. First backup was OK, with backup using "Hard disk2[san]" SAN transport, but following backups give me error messages:
4/02/2022 7:00:36 PM :: Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: No backup proxy is able to process this VM due to proxy processing mode restrictions.
I setup restrictions myself, because want backups to go via SAN. If I go to Backup Infrastructure/Microsoft Windows and do rescan that server, then all work OK. But in 12 hours scheduled incremental will fail, with the same error, I have provided before.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Case #05266955 - SAN proxy gets disconnected

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
in general, support would try to help on evaluation licenses. As far as I see, you also have production licenses. So that might result in ending up in the wrong queue though...
Hard disk2[san]" SAN transport,
just to be sure: you say that it works for the same VM for the initial full backup. And for all increments of the same VM it fails? And you did not change anything in between? If yes: please wait for support. Guessing on a forum that kind of error makes no sense.
Error: No backup proxy is able to process this VM due to proxy processing mode restrictions
this error sounds like the physical proxy cannot access (parts) of the VM (maybe VMware moved things to a different datastore / host with (storage)DRS).
If I go to Backup Infrastructure/Microsoft Windows and do rescan that server, then all work OK.
VMware datastores must be visible (offline) in Windows disk management of the proxy. And you must be able to select the VMware datastore in the manual selection of the "connected datastores"

Best regards,
Hannes
Dream_On
Influencer

Post by Dream_On »

in general, support would try to help on evaluation licenses. As far as I see, you also have production licenses. So that might result in ending up in the wrong queue though...
We have smaller installation of Veeam. I am building a pilot, for a management showcase, to move completely to Veeam. It is built in test environment, so I am using evaluation licenses.
maybe VMware moved things to a different datastore / host with (storage)DRS
Storage DRS is enabled on this cluster, are you saying, that Veeam cannot backup storage DRS managed VM's?
If yes: please wait for support.
I will wait for support to reach me. Thank you.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

are you saying, that Veeam cannot backup storage DRS managed VM's?
storage DRS is fully supported. my guess was that the VM was moved somewhere where zoning / masking is an issue.
Dream_On
Influencer

Post by Dream_On »

No Support help, yet. Strange, as I am trying to help Veeam to sell its own product.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Vladimir,

As far as I see our engineers have provided you with instructions and are waiting for your reply. If you have tried their suggestions, it would be helpful to reply back and continue the investigation by communicating with them directly. They will be happy to help you to resolve the issue.

Thanks
Dream_On
Influencer

Post by Dream_On » 1 person likes this post

To my disappointment, proxy server has started to work fine. It is a POC, so I will live it be. Will apply Veeam recommendations if problem arises again.