Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
CraigL2112
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Craig L.

Case #06040934 - Backup chain upgrade throws "Object reference not set to instance of an object."

Post by CraigL2112 »

Case #06040934

Veeam v12 P20230412

Upgraded source job's backup chain version without issue. Went to upgrade the Backup Copy Job's chain and get the error "..Preparing backup for upgrade Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

We're beyond the 3 week mark with support now and have made more or less no progress on this one. It surely sounds like a database issue, but so far, support has been unable to make much/any progress.

Has anyone else hit this?

-Craig
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Case #06040934 - Backup chain upgrade throws "Object reference not set to instance of an object."

Post by PetrM »

Hi Craig,

It's a generic .Net error that can appear because of many different reasons, I recommend to escalate a support case if you feel that the investigation does not move to the resolution.

Thanks!
CraigL2112
Enthusiast

Re: Case #06040934 - Backup chain upgrade throws "Object reference not set to instance of an object."

Post by CraigL2112 »

Yeah, we escalated last week and have to wait another few days before someone will even begin looking at it.

Meanwhile, we can't do our backup copy job since it has a different format than the source...
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

I see that our senior support engineers work on this issue, sometimes the research requires time. Anyway, I'll ask the team to increase the priority of your request.

Thanks!
rant2k23
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: JC

Post by rant2k23 »

Hi Craig,

For information I'm a VEEAM customer, last week we started our upgrade.
Windows 2012 + SQL 2012 (forced to be upgraded to 2016 because the upgrade process was blocked link to a bug, thanks the forum..)
We use Storeonce for primary (in a SOBR to export to AWS S3 a copy/move) and copy job, copy job done using catalyst copy to improve the process.

Upgrade of the primary job ==> ok
Upgrade of the copy job ==> failed with your msg
The catalyst job managed by VEEAM fail so it become disabled and part of the backup copy go orphan..

Currently ticket open and on VEEAM hand:
- resync of the database with SOBR/Storeonce store
- rebooted veeam server and proxy
- rebooted storeonce
- resync of the database (each time this process take us something like 17 hours :( )

For veeam boy if you pass your head here : #06084617
Maybe it's not the same prob, maybe we are on the same situation. I don't know.
Craig if you pass by the forum don't hesitate to give some news. I'm little worried that you are so long without a solution.

Regards,
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi JC

Did you consider escalating the case to our support management?
https://www.veeam.com/kb2320

Please note, opening a case with severity 1 doesn't mean there is a solution within hours. Sometimes RnD must be involved because our support cannot provide a solution or workaround for the issue. In that case it could take longer to solve the issue, especially if a hotfix is required. But we are doing our best to keep those times as low as possible.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

I talked to support management.

Case from @CraigL2112
The case is with RnD. Most likely a hotfix is required.

Case from @rant2k23
The support engineer will check if your case is related to craigs case. If so, we will escalate to RnD.

Best,
Fabian
rant2k23
Novice

Post by rant2k23 »

Hi Fabian,

Our commercial and solution architect are already aware.
Currently we don't escalate more, for the moment we manage the situation by the book : support ask, we execute and we wait that what is asked finish.
I know that some time it take time to analyze, internaly escalade and create a fix.

I just pray to don't have to wait too much or the balance between benefice/risk may need a discussion about other solution with our solution architect
CraigL2112
Enthusiast

Post by CraigL2112 »

We still have no resolution to this, other than QA is looking at it...
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Craig

Sometimes it will take some more time to solve an issue. Solving time can depend on multiple factors. I checked our internal RnD system and they are working on it. But they require more information from your environment and database. That's why the are now scheduling a call with you.

Best,
Fabian
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

@rant2k23
I'll check your case again.
Unfortunately it's not in English, so it's more difficult for me to read it.

Best,
Fabian
rant2k23
Novice

Post by rant2k23 »

Hi Fabian,

Yeeah my colleagues and I we are french :) but I prefer to write in english each time I need it best comprehension for everyone :)
I will make a update on the ticket in a few minutes/hours for monday actions :)
CraigL2112
Enthusiast

Post by CraigL2112 »

Update on our case:

Support was ultimately unable to provide any sort of guidance/fix and we made the decision to just delete the un-upgradable chain and reseed. Not the outcome we were hoping for after working the case for 6+ weeks but, here we are.
rant2k23
Novice

Post by rant2k23 »

Hi craig,

Sorry to hear that...
When I readed your problem and be similar than mine, I was already thinking about trash/rebuild the sync... I given to the support a shot if they are able to help us about this situation as client of their solution we can't afford to not respect their own rules to have multiple copy of your backup :)

My colleagues and I are sorry that you had to do the same as us :(