Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
itdirector
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: friedman

CBT & VM's with snapshots

Post by itdirector »

We disabled CBT at our DR backup site for our replicated VM's from our primary to DR site with version 6.5.
We replicate our primary site's VM's nightly to our DR site (4 restore points) using our primary office's VBR. At our DR site, we use our DR VBR to backup these replicated VM's.
With version 7.0, it states that "Changed Block Tracking. Changed Block Tracking can now be enabled for VMs that already have snapshots". We upgraded all of our VBR to 7.0.0.715 today. When I enabled CBT at our DR site & ran the backup jobs, they all had warnings that "Cannot use CBT : Soap Fault. A specific parameter was not correct".
Note: These replicated VM's that we are backing up obviously have snapshots due to the replication with 4 restore points & they are all powered off.

Before I open up a support ticket, can anyone tell me if this is an issue on our end or if version 7 really can't do CBT on VM's that have snapshots.

Thx.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: CBT & VM's with snapshots

Post by Gostev »

v7 *should* be able to do CBT on VM's that have snapshots, this was one of the new v7 enhancements. Plus, the error does not looks to be related to snapshots. I think it may be due to the fact the fact that CBT does not always work properly with powered off VMs, but this is just a guess. Thanks!