Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bhagen
Expert
Liked: 29 times

CDP Session Type / Stauts documentation?

Post by bhagen »

Can somebody please point me to the link that shows a list of CDP session types and status and their explanations? I cannot find...but that doesn't mean it isn't out there.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: CDP Session Type / Stauts documentation?

Post by veremin »

Basically there is only one daily session created per CDP policy: it contains statistics about individual VM as well as all VMs processed within CDP policy. So not sure what type is meant here.

As to the explanation, feel free to ask specific question regarding the CDP session, we will be glad to clarify your queries. By the way we have already contacted technical writer team, chances are CDP session overview will be added to User Guide in the nearest future.

Thanks!
bhagen
Expert

Post by bhagen »

Updated docs will be great.

Specifically, these two columns sometimes have different words in them. But...I keep forgetting to write them down, so I don't remember exactly what they are. :-)

Ugh..wish there were a good way to upload screenshots here...apparently google photos isn't a good way. :-(

When I click on "Running" in the left column (to see all my currently running jobs), in the right pane there are 4 columns; 2 of them are "Session Type" and "Status". Currently, I see "CDP" and "Syncing". Again, there are other words / phrases that show up, but I can't remember what they are. So I'd just like to know when I see them what they actually mean.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Session type should change over time. As to status column, most of the time it should be in Syncing state (everything is running correctly), but sometimes it can switch to CBT mode. Thanks!
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hello,

CDP means you are running a CDP policy to continuously protect (replicate with lowest possible RPO) some of your vSpere VMs. Syncing status means that the policy is synchronizing replica VMs with source VMs by constantly moving the changed blocks. So, all good!

I hope it helps. Thanks.
bhagen
Expert

Post by bhagen »

Maybe I'm not asking the right question. :-)

How's this:
For CDP jobs, what are all the "Session Type" values and "Status" values that can possibly be displayed in each of those columns, and what do those values mean?

Photo 1

I also see that there's a second "Status" display below, that has different info than the one up top. I'd like to know the same about this one: what values can possibly be displayed here, and what do those values mean?

Photo 2
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

For CDP jobs, what are all the "Session Type"
There is only one CDP Session Type - "CDP".
and "Status" values
Don't have a console handy, but these are potential statuses from the top of my head: Initial Sync (one or several vm is replicating for the first time), Synching (explained above), CBT mode (explained above) and Disabled (CDP policy is disabled and currently not running).
I also see that there's a second "Status" display below, that has different info than the one up top.
Unfortunately I cannot open the linked image.

Thanks!
Shinji
Veteran
Liked: 14 times

Post by Shinji »

We do not have as much information about CDP as we do about replication, and we are struggling to get inquiries from customers.
Could you please tell me what each of the following items means?
(1) Last 24 houres(all VMs)
(2) Last sync session
(3) Last period

Also, does the following information indicate the status of (3) Last period?
Shinji
Veteran
Liked: 14 times

Post by Shinji »

Is the following understanding correct?
(1) Last 24 houres(all VMs)
24-hour statistics for this job
(2) Last sync session
Information such as the amount of transfer when the last synchronization took place
(3) Last period
Updates that occurred during the Sync interval when the last replication took place