Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Luca82
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: lo

(CDP) Where is the best to place Veeam Server?

Post by Luca82 »

I'm referring to an environment that will make use of the CDP, but I think the question can be extended to the use of traditional replication. If the Veeam Server is hosted on the source infrastructure (production) and the latter is outaged, how can I restart the replicated machines on the target site (dr) since the Veeam Server will not be available yet? Could it be a good idea to host the Veeam Server on the target site and maybe make a replica/clone of it on the production site? Or are there other best practices to ensure high availability of Veeam Server? Thank you a lot!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: (CDP) Where is the best to place Veeam Server?

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello Luca

Our recommendation is to have the Veeam Backup & Replication (VBR) server in your DR site. In case the primary site goes offline or has other issues, you don't have to organize a new VBR server first to be able to start replicas.
The DR site VBR server can manage components (proxies, repos) on both sites. So you don't require two backup server.
You may also replicate the backup server to the primary side so you have a replica of it. Also you should do the configuration backups to the other side, in case you need to install a new backup server and restore the configuration.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Luca82
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: lo

Re: (CDP) Where is the best to place Veeam Server?

Post by Luca82 »

Thank you very much...