Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

certain proxies depending on time of day

Post by larry »

Is there a way to have backup jobs use certain proxies depending on time of day? I am planning on making a proxy on exs hosts that are idle for 6 hours a day but at 90 percent the rest of the time. The proxy VM will turn itself on at 11pm and then shut itself off at 6am just to be sure the VM resources are all returned to idle on time. I want to make sure no job starts after 3am on these proxy VMs. If I just force a proxy VM off at 6am will a job resume on a second proxy which has bandwidth restrictions ? One reason for this is when 7.0 comes out I plan on a high powered VM using a local disks for it cache, just for the WAN acceleration piece, during production times this VM will be powered off and I will use other resources for a second WAN acceleration piece. I am hoping to maximize my WAN during the six hour window.
I just upgraded to Veeam 6.5 from 5 and the speed gained by offloading to proxies will enable us to re-architect our backup jobs. I am using 6.5 for the blue print but I am waiting for 7.0 with WAN acceleration to finalize the design. If I give the WAN acceleration 1tb drive for cache will it use that much? Would it use more? Will WAN acceleration work like proxies where I can use as many as I want? Using WAN acceleration and backing up the same VM in multiple jobs going to the same DR site will it pretty much just send those VM data blocks once? The other feature is the backup copy jobs which I hope will copy backups to removable hard disks. Will the copy backup jobs have their own retention setting?
I can’t wait to start testing version 7 which is coming at a perfect time for us, just as we re-architect our backup. The new features in Veeam make the changing of our backup architect exciting. Our end result I expect to have less data loss risks because of more backups in more places on more types of media in more formats using less time and resources.

sorry for the long post, just want my new Veeam setup as soild as my current Veeam 5 setup.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: certain proxies depending on time of day

Post by veremin »

Is there a way to have backup jobs use certain proxies depending on time of day?
In order to do it you might want to write a custom PS script and schedule it via Windows Scheduler to run at, say, 2:50 a.m. Once executed this script will find backup jobs that are going to be started soon, and explicitly specify a certain proxy server for them.
If I just force a proxy VM off at 6am will a job resume on a second proxy which has bandwidth restrictions?
Providing one of the proxy servers is down, VB&R will be able to distribute workload between remaining proxy servers. However, you’d better be sure that at the time when proxy server should be shutdown it isn’t being used by any job.
If I give the WAN acceleration 1tb drive for cache will it use that much? Would it use more?
It will use as much as you allocate to it, and will use effectivelly.
Will WAN acceleration work like proxies where I can use as many as I want?

Yes.
The other feature is the backup copy jobs which I hope will copy backups to removable hard disks. Will the copy backup jobs have their own retention setting?
Yes.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

thank you.
When use proxy is set to auto will it pick the proxy without a time of day bandwidth setting ?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

When use proxy is set to auto will it pick the proxy without a time of day bandwidth setting ?
If automatic proxy detection is enabled, VB&R will take the most efficient available proxy. Efficiency is based on data retrieval transport mode. From the most to the least efficient – Direct-SAN, Hot-Add, Network.

More information regarding it can be found in the sticky FAQ; kindly, take a look.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Larry,
larry wrote:I am planning on making a proxy on exs hosts that are idle for 6 hours a day but at 90 percent the rest of the time. The proxy VM will turn itself on at 11pm and then shut itself off at 6am just to be sure the VM resources are all returned to idle on time.
Just to make sure I understand the scenario...if proxy server is not busy with the backup job, then it won't consume any resources. Can you please clarify on why would you like to power off these VMs?

Thanks!
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

just in case a backup needs to be run during the day, which happens at times. The other thing is sometimes a backup retrys and now runs into production time, the retry I would liked forced to the other proxy if it is late ( after 3am ) If I could set max jobs to zero after 3am would also work, this way current jobs could finish but no new ones.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If I could set max jobs to zero after 3am would also work, this way current jobs could finish but no new ones.
Hmm, If this job runs periodically every X hours ,then, why not to specify a required backup window? Might do the trick.
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

during a retry or on demand backup the window won't help. Unless I am missing something.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Uhm, no, I tested it in the past, if you have a defined backup window, even manual execution outside of the windows will fail few seconds after it's been started. In fact you have to temporarily remove the limit to start the job.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Uhm, no, I tested it in the past, if you have a defined backup window, even manual execution outside of the windows will fail few seconds after it's been started.
Unless, you have “Terminate job if it exceeds allowed backup window” option enabled, you will, indeed, be able to run a given job manually.
during a retry or on demand backup the window won't help. Unless I am missing something.
However, I just don’t get it – you want to prohibit a job execution during a said interval, right? So, why, then, would you run a job manually at that time?

Or this isn’t you who is responsible for running backup jobs and you’re afraid that someone migth decide to run a job outside the specified window? if so, just enable the option (“terminate…”) and everything should be ok.

Thanks.