Chain SureBackup Jobs

VMware specific discussions

Re: Chain SureBackup Jobs

Veeam Logoby zoltank » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:05 pm

Any chance of this making it into the UI soon? It has been three years now...
zoltank
Expert

Liked: 30 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:03 am

At the moment situation is still the same. So, usage of scripts is still required if you're after chaining SB jobs. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby zoltank » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:17 pm

Is it even on the roadmap to include this functionality directly in the UI?
zoltank
Expert

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:07 pm

Unfortunately, we do not share features' roadmap. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JoshuaPostSAMC » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:44 pm

Add me to the list of users requesting chaining SureBackup jobs in the GUI and not needing an external script.

I have 13 SureBackup jobs that compliment my Backup jobs, but I want to run them when all backups are done, not immediately after each job completes. Running on a weekend is preferred. Each job has several Advanced settings under the linked job to accomodate servers that take longer to boot or have custom ports to check. If I put everything into one job, it is difficult to test and check a subset, but when I have the time window, I want all of them to run, so I want each to follow the previous while still being able to run an ad-hock job for just my SQL servers as needed without having to maintain two jobs with advanced settings, the job of just SQL servers and the job with all of the servers.
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert

Liked: 16 times

Veeam Logoby JoshuaPostSAMC » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:36 pm

It is quite silly that chaning a SureBackup job to run after another SureBackup job completes is still not part of the included functionality.

I was playing around with the powershell script because I have two virtual labs that I want to split the load between and I want to run 6 jobs sequentially on each. As I was testing how to re-write the old script referenced in this thread, I noticed that when I started a SureBackup job in powershell, it was waiting for that job to complete before moving on in the script.
Doing a "get-help start-vsbjob" shows me that there is a -RunAsync that seems like it would overcome this, but running syncronous is what I want. So I might just need to list all jobs associated to a Lab and then send the start commant to that result and maybe it will run them syncronous and not need a complex script to check to see when an earlier job completes?
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:09 am

I thought I'd rewritten the script already, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

You're right that you don't job status checking portion is unnecessary. If you want to run jobs sequentially, create a variable containing SB job names separated by comma, then, add a cycle within which jobs get executed one by one:

Code: Select all
asnp VeeamPSSnapin
$Names = "First name", "Second name", etc.
foreach ($Name in $Names)
{
    Get-VSBJob -Name $Name | Start-VSBJob
}

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JoshuaPostSAMC » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:58 pm 1 person likes this post

You don't even have to do a For loop through them. If you use Get-VSBJob to collect the jobs you want, you can issue one Start-VSBJob against it. I'm running two scripts that look for all jobs associated with a single Virtual Lab, excluding a one-off test job, and then starting them at 3 am.

Code: Select all
Add-PsSnapin VeeamPSSnapIn
$VeeamServer = 'BackupServerName'

Connect-VBRServer -server $VeeamServer

$VirtualLab = Get-VSBVirtualLab -name "Veeam Virtual Lab 1"
$SureBackupJobs = Get-VSBJob | where-object {$_.VirtualLabId -eq $VirtualLab.Id} | where {$_.name -notlike 'SureBackup Individual*'}  | sort Name

Start-VSBJob $SureBackupJobs
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:44 am

You've nailed it, this way or the other the original script has been reduced dramatically. :)
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby zoltank » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:47 pm

Any chance we'll be getting this with the new update?
zoltank
Expert

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:51 pm

As far as I'm concerned, no. The provided scripts are still a way to go. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JoshuaPostSAMC » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:46 pm

Do you mean that you don't consider it important enough to become a feature, or do you mean that you aren't aware of it coming in the next update?
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:47 am

Vladimir meant to say that since there is a workaround and we have other major features pending that would be useful for our existing users, right now we cannot commit to any date when this feature is going to be available in the product.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1145 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby JoshuaPostSAMC » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Hmmm. So almost 4 years later and there still isn't enough development time to include the ability to run a SureBackup job after another SureBackup job completes, just like you already support for Backup jobs?
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:59 pm

While I do realize that this functionality might be really important to you and might seem like an easy UI change that would allow chaining, please be aware that this functionality affects other parts/functionality of the Veeam backup server. Every release pending features are prioritized based on the value they bring to the customers and required development/QA times, that's why some of the features are re-scheduled to future releases. Thank you for your understanding.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1145 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere