Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
itguy1024
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Scott

Change Backup Repo Without Moving Data

Post by itguy1024 »

Hi,

I am having issues with my local sas volume where my backup jobs point to. I want to point my backup jobs to another repository for a few days so that I can rebuild my local sas volume.
How can I change the backup repository without copying all of the backup files to the other repo?

I saw there used to be a registry change that you could do unfortunately that didn't seem to do the trick for me.

Veaam 11
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Change Backup Repo Without Moving Data

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Scott,

If you can present second repository storage to the same server on the same path as the first one, You can tick "This repository is supported by the rotated media" and Veeam will ignore missing files on your current repository location(for example D:\Backups had your backups and had SAS volume at the backend, and now D:\Backups still exists however has an empty volume from another storage).

Otherwise, general case from KB1729 "Same job, new backup location" is still preferred. You need to move backup files when working with underlying storage.

/Thanks!
itguy1024
Influencer

Post by itguy1024 »

Can you elaborate on how you're recommending adding a new repo with the same path but it points to different storage?

I currently have D:\Backups and my other temp repo is a network share \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\Corp Backups

Also I tried that "This repository is supported by the rotated media" and it did still got the same message.
itguy1024
Influencer

Post by itguy1024 »

Unfortunately it wouldn't be time effective to move the data since there's 40TB of it.
itguy1024
Influencer

Post by itguy1024 »

I ended up just removing the backup from the backup configuration and then it let me point to the temp repo. I'll do the same process to move them back after I rebuild the local storage.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

What are your plans on restore points that will be created on temporary repository? Once you re-build the storage system and rescan original repository, you will have two backup chains: one from original backup repository, another from temporary repository.

Are you planning to keep those restore points as imported entities and apply retention on them manually? Something else?

Thanks!
itguy1024
Influencer

Post by itguy1024 » 1 person likes this post

I am going to let the backups run on the temp repo for a few weeks to build up the retention. Then I am going to delete the backups on the local repo to rebuild the volume.
Once the volume is rebuilt I am going to move the backups back to it and after a few weeks of backups delete the temp repo files.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Sounds valid, let us know the process ends for you. Thanks!