Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mbrownwfp
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Matt Brown

Changes to VirtualLab object break functionality

Post by mbrownwfp »

I was recently asked to spin up one of our internal applications in a VirtualLab for testing/development/potential destruction. We are on v9.5.

During the set up process I continually ran into an issue with connectivity within the Lab. It seems that once the VirtualLab object is created and launched for the first time, any subsequent changes made to the Lab configuration cause future SureBackup jobs to fail.

For example, the Lab object was deployed with the correct settings and my SureBackup job kicked off. All of the VMs completed their checks and the overall SureBackup status was successfully. I realized I had missed a static mapping entry so I stopped the SureBackup session and added the missing static mapping entry in the VirtualLab configuration. No other changes were made to the VirtualLab configuration.

When I launched the SureBackup job again, the first VM in the job failed its checks ("Results: Cannot detect VM starting because of timeout" & "Error: The operation has timed out") and the entire SureBackup job shut down. I deleted the SureBackup and VirtualLab, then re-created both objects with the exact same settings (this time including the static mapping entry) and my Lab is now up and running...

Wondering if this known VirtualLab behaviour?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Changes to VirtualLab object break functionality

Post by Mike Resseler »

Matt,

Not that I am aware off to be honest. Since you deleted the lab it might get difficult to figure out what went wrong.

Did you try it only once or multiple times?

Mike
mbrownwfp
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Matt Brown

Re: Changes to VirtualLab object break functionality

Post by mbrownwfp »

Hi Mike,

I ran into this issue multiple times yesterday.

I am going to set up a test VirtLab and SureBackup job today and see if I can replicate the behaviour. If so I will open a support case and will report back to this thread with the findings.

Matt