Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
0zzY
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: 0zzy

ChannelError:ConnectionReset

Post by 0zzY » 1 person likes this post

Hi, i have open case 00973559.

The backup log report this: Hot add is not supported for source disk, failing over to network mode. After that i receive the error: ChannelError:ConnectionReset.
On second or third retry the job finish succesfully (using hot add).
This happen for 3-4 vm in different jobs.
We are working on vmware 5.5 and veeam 8.0.0.2030

How can i fix it?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: ChannelError:ConnectionReset

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What type of disks do you use for VMs you're backing up with hotadd backup mode?
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY »

Hi Vitaliy, disks are all scsi
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If all requirements are met for virtual disks, then let's wait till our support team looks through the log files.
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY »

Hi Vitaliy, all requirements are ok, also becouse backup successfully finish on second or third attempt using hotadd
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Is there anything in common for the VMs that fail to be processed in hotadd mode?
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY »

I think they are build from the same template.
Another problem (i don't know if it's related to the previous) sometimes one job hang on 99% and all next jobs that are in queue are waiting
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you have any other VMs to try the hotadd backup mode? Also let's wait for our support team to investigate this problem via log files.
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert »

last time I saw this type of error it was caused by the vcenter reaching it's conncetion limits.
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Do you have any other VMs to try the hotadd backup mode? Also let's wait for our support team to investigate this problem via log files.
hi vitaliy, yes we have other vm and hot add works fine.
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY »

emachabert wrote:last time I saw this type of error it was caused by the vcenter reaching it's conncetion limits.
what connection limits are you talking about? is it possible to see something about this limit? network graph?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Since other VMs are backed up without issues then connection limits shouldn't be the case here. What did our support engineer say after reviewing the debug logs?
jbarrow.viracoribt
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Jonathan Barrow

Post by jbarrow.viracoribt »

I'm having this same issue and really getting no good solutions from tech support. It only happens when parallel processing is turned on. Case number 00968559 .
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you're not satisfied with the level of support provided, you can always escalate your case in order for it to be handled by higher tier support engineer. Thanks.
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Since other VMs are backed up without issues then connection limits shouldn't be the case here. What did our support engineer say after reviewing the debug logs?

Hi Vitaliy, some days ago i closed the case becouse thought it was solved but i was wrong, so i have opened a new case id 00987387

To be honest not all other vms are backed up successfully and what really happen is the following:

My customer has 2 errors during every backup:
1 - ChannelError:ConnectionReset (we have this error for some backup job but often the backup job end successfully on next retry, but i'd like to know why this happen)
2 - Every night one backup job hang on 99% or 47% (the same vm is always involved, only this night for another one) -> if i look at backup server with vsphere client i can see one disk is "hot-addedd" more than one time, other times the job can't work in hot-add and it switch to newtork mode.
In any event it hangs and i can't stop it, i have to kill all veeamagent process from task manager, so disc consolidation can start automatically and after that rebot backup server.

How can i escalate my case to be handled by higher tier support? It's going on from many days and we need a solution faster
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can ask your support engineer to escalate the case. BTW, does this issue happen if you switch to network backup mode only?
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY »

Vitaliy S. wrote:You can ask your support engineer to escalate the case. BTW, does this issue happen if you switch to network backup mode only?
Hi Vitaliy, this night i have setup my secondary backup proxy to work ONLY on network mode. Now backup goes successfully.
If i set backup proxy on auto, backup job switch from hot-add to newtork mode and backup fails.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, seems like it is indeed an issue with hotadd mode. Let's see what your support engineers say after escalation.
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY » 1 person likes this post

After disable automount on bacakup proxy http://www.veeam.com/kb1882 , backup jobs are working fine from last week.
bbricker
Enthusiast
Liked: 27 times

Post by bbricker »

I get the "Error: ChannelError: ConnectionReset" message randomly on a failed job on random vm's about once a week. When the job retries with that one vm, it always completes fine. I already had automount disabled.

What is also interesting is that doing a search of that error brings up a Veeam article about Patch 3 for 6.5 where it says it was fixed
http://www.veeam.com/kb1751

Resolved Issues
VMware
• Backup jobs may fail with the error "ChannelError: ConnectionReset"
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Such issues can have different nature, though report similar error message. That's why it is always recommended to investigate more closely through support.
rikH
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: RickH

[MERGED] ChannelError: ConnectionReset

Post by rikH »

I had a couple of backup jobs fail with the following error message. Processing VMXXX Error: ChannelError: ConnectionReset
They did however succeed on the retry.

Can anybody explain what channel error is. For example does it mean I have had a network or SAN disturbance or is it a general message that makes it unclear to whatever the cause is? I don't have a history of these messages and the backups completed ok in the retry but I wondered if I can glean any clues here for things to proactively to check.
I have searched on this but can't say I found a real clear indication of what it is.
Regards Richard
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Re: ChannelError: ConnectionReset

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It's hard to say what this error refers to without seeing additional debug logs. Please open a support case and let our team assist you with the required logs review. Once you do this, please post your case ID for future reference.