Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
faeder
Novice
Liked: never

Cloning Machines betwee two non clustered host

Post by faeder »

I am curious if Veeam Backup has the ability to clone an existing VM from one ESX host to another leveraging snapshots, etc. I am not wanting this clone to be brought online but instead just act as another backup of a given vm.

The Host are currently running ESXi 4.0 with ROBO Essentials license. I am really looking for a solution that can schedule and manage this effort.

Thanks for bearing with me on this newb question to Veeam world.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Cloning Machines betwee two non clustered host

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi faeder,

Welcome to Veeam Community forums! As to your question, then yes, it is possible. I would recommend you to use our VM replication job for that.

Should more details be required, please take a look at our sticky F.A.Q. topic:
>>> READ FIRST : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS <<<

Thanks!
faeder
Novice

Post by faeder »

I guess a follow up question or clarification.... I am wanting this replication to occur between two host within the same remote location. It appears that the backup traffic is being routed back through the network versus keeping it local to the network for which these two hosts live. I am assuming this has something to do possibly with locating a backup proxy of some sort?

Thanks
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

You are right.
If your Veeam server is in site A, and you are trying to replicate between nodes 1 and 2 both located in site B, you need proxies locally in site B, otherwise the data will flow in this way:
node 1 -> Veeam Server -> node 2
and you can see the traffic will flow through the wan. Place proxies in remote site and configure replica jobs to not choose automatic proxy but set them manually.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
faeder
Novice

Post by faeder »

Do I have to have Multiple Proxies in the remote site in order for this to work or can I have the backup job leverage the same one? Thanks Again!
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

From the User Guide:
Veeam Backup & Replication uses three agents for a single replication job – a source-side agent, a target-side agent and an agent hosted on a repository. During replication, the source-side agent interacts with the source host, and the target-side agent interacts with the target host. The agents communicate with each other and maintain a stable connection.
So you will need two proxies both deployed in the remote site to keep the replica traffic in that site without crossing the lan.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
faeder
Novice

Post by faeder »

Thanks dellock6..... So I have two proxies running in the same location now, but both are currently running on the same host. I don't have any available vm's running on the second host to act as a proxie. Of course I have not read the manual, but is this going to cause an issue with with me being able to perform a NFC mount. That is what is currently failing. I have read DNS can be an issue but could also be that I am running both proxies on just one host..

Thanks

PS - Doing this by the seat of your pants always works well in learning the quirks of any new system so that you know how to troubleshoot at a later date :-)
faeder
Novice

Post by faeder »

From the User Guide:

"A machine used as a backup proxy should have direct access to the storage on which VMs
reside or the storage where VM data is written. This way, the backup proxy will retrieve
directly from/to the storage, bypassing LAN."

Ok, I am now reading the manual...