Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
owen.wright
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Owen Wright

Cloud Connect

Post by owen.wright »

Hi all,

Firstly, in case any of you are not aware (like me a couple of days ago) there is a really helpful guide to get you off the ground with cloud connect and SP setup which was written by Luca Dell'Oca, called Veeam Cloud Connect v9 A reference architecture. Thanks to Luca from me for a start :D

I was only made aware of this while on a support call with Veeam, so thought I would share its existence on here.

While I'm at it, I thought I would ask I there is such a thing as a ready reckoner spreadsheet which can be used to calculate basic config requirements for people who are new to cloud connect SP roles such as myself?

I would like to be able to pump in some really basic details such as number of tenants, and volume of data per tenant / total etc. then be provided with a rough guestimate around 1uantities and configurations for gateway servers, wan accelerators, Cache sizing etc.

Ive already trawled the Veeam site, docs and 3rd party sites, but don't seem to be able to find clear information in this area.
For example, If WAN accelerators have a recommended max 5:1 ratio (assuming this relates to tenants), if I have 20 tenants, shouldn't I deploy 5 WAN accelerators? This was mentioned in the above doc, but I haven't been able to find this anywhere else.

Oh, and Streams, can anyone explain clearly how streams should be configured in a client / SP scenario. I know what a stream is, I'm asking what are the mechanics behind this and some recommended best practices, now many streams can a SP wan accelerator accept etc?

So in summary, I trying to build out my own knowledge but also share anything useful, while not wanting to onboard heresay, so if anyone can point me in the direction of technically accurate reference materials, or rules of thumb with some sort of reference as to where this came from / what its based on, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

Owen
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Re: Cloud Connect

Post by Gostev »

Hi Owen - actually there's a private VCSP forum where all this knowledge is readily available already, just apply to the corresponding User Group to be granted access ;)
owen.wright
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Owen Wright

Post by owen.wright »

Thanks Gostev :)
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Owen,
thanks for the nice comments on the book.

In regards to sizing of the different components, we try not to duplicate our efforts, so you can find for example wan accelerator sizing and other information in our Best Practices book here: https://bp.veeam.expert .For any additional request, as Anton said go into the VCSP forum.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1