Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
emarzock
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Marzock

CloudConnect and Cloud-based D/R

Post by emarzock »

I understand that Cloudconnect will replicate Veeam backups to a supported cloud provider of one's choosing. However, can those backup images in the Cloud be used to start up VM's, also in the Cloud? I don't really see that capability highlighted on any of the product literature that I have (admittedly) quickly looked at.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Re: CloudConnect and Cloud-based D/R

Post by Gostev »

Yes, certain cloud providers will give you this ability, depending on whether or not they have the required infrastructure in place. You should check with the specific service providers of your choice if they provide this service. Thanks!
emarzock
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Marzock

Re: CloudConnect and Cloud-based D/R

Post by emarzock »

Thanks, Gostev. I think that, for me, that this is the issue with "Cloud." So many providers, so diverse offerings. I wish that the hardware and software manufacturers (Veeam, EMC, VMware, etc.) had certification programs that the Cloud providers could adhere to, making the search for a Cloud provider a little more efficient. For example, Veeam could offer Veeam BaaS-Certified for cloud-based backup capable, or Veeam DRaaS-Certified for cloud-based backup AND the ability to spin up VM's in the Cloud (would possibly imply the ability to extend one's network then, too, with the likes of VXLAN, or via VPN.)