Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SmokinJoe
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Joe G

Community Edition and 2 vCenter hosts

Post by SmokinJoe »

Hi All,

Just checking to make sure there is no limit to the Community edition. I am upgrading from a cluster that is running vCenter 5.5 to 6.7 and will need to backup hosts on both clusters for a while. Is there a limit on this? i.e. can I backup 5 guests on the 5.5 cluster with Intel CPU's and 5 guests on the 6.7 cluster running AMD CPUs?

Thanks,
Joe
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Community Edition and 2 vCenter hosts

Post by PetrM »

Hi Joe,

You can protect up to 10 workloads with Community Edition, you may refer to the edition comparison matrix to get more information about available features.

Thanks!
SmokinJoe
Enthusiast

Post by SmokinJoe »

Hi PetrM,

Yes I see that and I have had for a few months community running and protecting 10 guests in a VMware 5.5 cluster. I know the free version has limits so I need to know how to see if the limits are blocking me from backing up my guests.

Thanks,
Joe
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

It does not matter how many virtualization hosts do you have, the limitation is applied to the number of protected workloads only.

Thanks!
SmokinJoe
Enthusiast

Post by SmokinJoe »

It seems that once I moved the VEEAM server to the same cluster it was protecting all the jobs were able to run as "hot add" and are humming along fine. I tried to keep my VEEAM servers on my old VMware 5.5 cluster but that was causing issues were jobs were falling back to LAN mode. When I tried to have the community version connect to 2 vCenter servers that had the same fiber channel disks it would not run in hot add mode, it could be the auto detection of storage was thinking it would mess each other up?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

SmokinJoe wrote:When I tried to have the community version connect to 2 vCenter servers that had the same fiber channel disks it would not run in hot add mode, it could be the auto detection of storage was thinking it would mess each other up?
One of the requirements for the hot-add mode to work is that the proxy being used must be a VM on a host that is able to access the datastore where the source VM’s disks are stored. If you have only one proxy server located in one vCenter Server while backing up VMs from another server, then only LAN backup mode will be possible. Hope it helps!