Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kacsp
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Configuring a Virtual Lab with multiple isolated networks

Post by kacsp »

Hi, could you please advise if it's possible to configure a Virtual Lab with a number of isolated networks, but have these all configured to map to a single production network? I ask this because our Veeam install is running in an isolated dev / test environment, on a Host connected to a network separate & isolated from our production network(s), and I'd like to be able to emulate our production environment within a Virtual Lab by running multiple 'true' production subnets inside.

After running through the 'Isolated Network', 'Network Settings' & 'Static Mappings' portions in 'Edit Virtual Lab' properties, and reviewing the technical background to Virtual Labs, I can't see a reason why I shouldn't be able to configure this.

Essentially what I intend doing is adding additional isolated networks to one of our Virtual Labs which is currently running a single isolated network by doing the following:

1. Create a new production<>isolated network mapping, giving it a new name and VLAN ID, but map it to the single production network available (as with the existing isolated network in the Virtual Lab)
2. Create a new vNIC using the Default Gateway & Subnet Mask of the new isolated network, configure this with the same Masquerade Network Address used with the existing isolated network, and connect this to the new isolated network
3. Create Static Mappings for the new VMs running in the new isolated network

As far as I can tell, traffic will route OK to the new VMs in the new isolated network, as the Proxy will direct network traffic to any new VM in the new isolated network OK (unless I'm misunderstanding something). My only uncertainty is around mapping more than one isolated network in a Virtual Lab to the same production network, and if this is possible and / or will cause a problem?

Thanks in advance for your help...
kacsp
Enthusiast

Re: Configuring a Virtual Lab with multiple isolated network

Post by kacsp »

An update on this: I went ahead and tried adding an second isolated network to a test Virtual Lab, mapping this to the only 'production' network available to the Host (mapped to the 1st isolated network), and Veeam simply rejected this with error message 'the production network is already specified in an existing mapping rule'. So it looks like I've answered my own question. But, I must admit, I'm not sure I understand what's going on here, and just it is that Veeam is trying to prevent me from doing?

But I'd still like to know if it's possible in some way to create more than one isolated network within a single Virtual Lab while the Host is attached to just a single 'production' network and no access to any others? I'm hoping there's a way our Virtual Labs will be able to effectively simulate our full, multi-network production environment without the Veeam Host having direct access to all production subnets?

Comments are appreciated
kacsp
Enthusiast

Re: Configuring a Virtual Lab with multiple isolated network

Post by kacsp »

Can the solution to this to be to just add further Port Groups to the vSwitch and use these as dummy 'production' networks in the Virtual Lab network mappings?