Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Alvaro
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Alan

Copy of primary backup to second copy in cloud

Post by Alvaro »

Hi

I have a client who wants to make a SECOND copy of their backup on premises to the cloud, specifically to cloud object storage.

I have the following doubts:

1. Could I use capacity tier ?? The capacity tier with its jobs called SOBR OFFLOAD is used to archive that little use data ... but ... what my client wants is not to move them, but to make a COPYHow does capacity tier work? ?? Making a copy of the data that moves to the cloud or moves it without copying? That is, it does not copy data but only has the ability to move it to the cloud object storage or other cheap repository.

2. Can copy jobs use a repository that is the cloud object storage? I don't see it clearly indicated in the manual.

3. Is a cloud gateway needed when we want to take backup copies to the cloud and save them in object storage?

Right now the solution I am designing is with vcloud conect according to the manual and I would like you to confirm that I am doing well.
The client currently has a veeam server in its installation that manages backup jobs. This same server must manage the copy backup jobs that are co-configured. In the cloud of my company I put a gateway that establishes a communication between the client's veeam server and the SP's veeam server that I install in the cloud. SP Veeam server is connected directly to cloud object storage where it stores the data copied from primary backup through copy backup jobs.

Thank you so much
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Copy of primary backup to second copy in cloud

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Alvaro,
1. Next version VBR v10 will have Backup Copy "Move" and Backup Copy "Copy" modes to select from. Currently it works only in Move(Offload) mode.
2. No, not direct. Object storage is used as a Capacity Tier of Scale Out Backup Repository entity. You can set the "age" setting to 1 day and it will move older backups to the cloud, having only most recent copy locally.
3. "Cloud Gateway" is a term from Veeam Cloud Connect infrastructure - so the answer is No, Cloud Gateway server is NOT needed. However network Gateway Server IS needed to establish communication between Scale Out Backup Repository and Object Storage endpoint. One of the steps in "Add Object Storage" wizard actually asks which Gateway Server to use. If none set, we will assume your Repository extents has internet connectivity themselves.
/Cheers
Alvaro
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Alan

Post by Alvaro »

Thanks for the quink responde

2. No, not direct. Object storage is used as a Capacity Tier of Scale Out Backup Repository entity. You can set the "age" setting to 1 day and it will move older backups to the cloud, having only most recent copy locally.

I have read in the manual that object storage is used as offload repository for older backups...but in this case I dont want to move my backups, I want to have a COPY of my primary backup in object storage. It means I will have one primary backup on premises...and another secondary backup (with the same data than the primary) in object storage. Is this possible?? Or I can only move, not copy.

Thank you
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

No copy mode today.
Either create a second repository with cloud tier and enable Backup Copy there or wait a little for v10 to come out.
/Thanks!