Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Filippo1975
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Filippo M

Create a backup job "filter" by os

Post by Filippo1975 »

Hello Everybody,
I've got a customer with a big on-prem infrastracture... this infrastracture is mananged by one big vcenter that controls many diffenter clusters located on each customer site.
There are a lot of vms (something like 800 -900 vms)... This customer is managed by their local it teams in collaboration with many others outsourcing consultant.
Everyday somebody add - modify - delete vms on each site...
In order to avoid to prevent to non adding vms we had created one dedicated job for each site in which we added the entire custers, so in the event that a new vm is created or deleted the veeam server will be everytime able to process each vms... the main big problem is we'd like to create a dedicated job for operating system.
Is it possibile to filter by os ? I already know there is the ability to filter on the wizard of the job some vm's tag... but if nobody by customer will manage this option, this attribute will be useless..
Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Create a backup job "filter" by os

Post by foggy »

Hi Filippo, in case per-VM backup chains are used there's not much benefit from grouping VMs by OS as there's no deduplication between the VMs in a backup file (each VM has its own separate chain). If you still want to do this, using tags or dedicated VM containers is the way to go.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Filippo,

In Veeam ONE business view you can implement rules that group VMs by whatever parameter you like including the Operating System or hardware config and enable that these groups are replicated to VMware Tags.
You can create then backup jobs based on specific VMware Tag.

If new VMs are created, Veeam ONE Business View will group them inte background and apply tags then. Next Job run with the specific tag will then process the VM.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Filippo,

What's the benefit of isolating the backups per job by OS?

I'm not being mean, it's just I cannot understand the immediate benefit.

As long as you have Application Aware Processing enabled and you used correct information in VMware, Veeam will know info about the OS and show this in the Backups area, so trying to separate it by Job does not seem good to me.

Maybe you can explain your goal a bit more.

I actually don't understand a "good" reason for this, as most reporting reasons I can think of are better resolved in other areas.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

I know that some customers group the Jobs on OS template and purpose to have maximum deduplication with "Per Job chains" and they save a lot of space by this if you perfom this at a deep level (on template base not on OS base).