Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Credentials lost for Veeam Backup and Replication Service

Post by marius roma »

I installed Veeam Backup in a lab area on a Windows Server 2008 R2 member server while logging on as a domain administrator.
The Veeam Backup and Replication Service is configured to be executed as DOMAINNAME\Administrator: is it correct?
Each time I reboot the server the Veeam Backup and Replication Service service fails to start.
I go to the Services console, re-enter the DOMAINNAME\Administrator password and I get a message saying that the DOMAINNAME\Administrator account was given the right to logon a a service.
At that point I can start the service manually and everything works till the next reboot.
I looked at the FAQ topiscs but I was unable to locate an answer.
What am I missing?
Regards
marois
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Re: Credentials lost for Veeam Backup and Replication Servic

Post by Gostev »

You should also be able to run it as LOCAL SYSTEM, this account does not require entering password. As far as your issue, it looks like something else edits or removes those credentials. Our product does not have the capability of modifying these credentials once the product setup puts them in. Thanks!
robbysmith
Novice
Liked: never

Post by robbysmith »

I'm getting this too. Very strange.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

Did you take a look into the local group policys of the server after the reboot?
Is the administrator still allowed to logon as a service?

Maybe there is Grouppolicy changing these settings as it happens only after a reboot.
azuziel
Novice
Full Name: George Brossault

Post by azuziel »

This is also happening to me. 2008 R2 Standard VM. This is definately a bug. It keeps losing the password I've set for my service account. Each time it restarts. Makes scheduling jobs impossible, and I do hope the support folks are taking it seriously. If we switch the VEEAM services to run as local system, does this have any impact on scheduled jobs?
Az

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand - Confucius
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you would like to investigate this further, please contact our support team directly. Switching to LOCAL SYSTEM does not have any affect on job scheduling. Thanks!
azuziel
Novice
Full Name: George Brossault

Post by azuziel »

Vitaliy S. wrote:If you would like to investigate this further, please contact our support team directly. Switching to LOCAL SYSTEM does not have any affect on job scheduling. Thanks!
Awesome. Well that's a quick fix. I'm thinking this is more of a windows issue, then a veeam issue. Veeam doesn't have anything to do with service account password storage. Interestingly, when entering the password and seeing a "%username% has been granted the right to login as a service, this almost always points to a group policy related issue. I've seen similar behavior and in the past with other infrastructures, and was group policy related at that time. I'm thinking this may have been a patch that caused this, as this wasn't always the case. Of course it happens in the final week of testing before purchasing a license. NO worries, we paid anyway. Great software. I"ll still contact support to get this documented, and maybe it can help others. I'm 95% sure this is a windows update/windows issue, NOT a veeam issue.

Az
Az

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand - Confucius
kaatmanduu
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Stevens

Post by kaatmanduu » 1 person likes this post

I know this is an old thread, but I was having the same issue as others on this thread. The Veeam service would not start at boot, and even after manually starting it and re-entering the password for the service account, the backup service would randomly stop. I'm not a Windows admin, much less an AD person so this was a bit frustrating.

I was using a Domain account to start the Veeam service, and it seems that the account needs authorization to be able to run as a service. This page allowed me to fix the problem http://www.puryear-it.com/blog/2013/05/ ... er-reboot/